Has anyone experienced MUA manipulation under anaesthetic?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I’m 7 weeks post TKR and I see the consultant tomorrow. My physio has measured me at 85 degrees so it’s on the borderline in UK for having MUA.  Apart from that have little pain but a lot of stiffness. Currently walking around home with no aids but use one only when out. Has anyone experienced MUA, manipulation under anaesthetic?  I’m a little worried this will be discussed so would like anyone’s experiences please so that I can get it clear in my head before I go for the appointment. Thanks in advance.

3 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I am in exactly the same position as yourself but go to consultant on Wednesday. I'm still in a lot of pain day and night and physio has warned me of manipulation too. I'm also measuring 85 and am in north of England. To say I'm terrified is an understatement I really am  not sure how to prepare myself for even the consultation without crying. Any advice will be gratefully received.

• Posted

Hi Jane, I am sure we will both be fine, as long as we’re going in the right direction.  I think I will listen to the consultant but take a firm stand that I want to try for myself and have nothing forced.  Have you got someone to go with you?  I definitely want someone for moral support. I will let you know how I get on.
    • Posted

Hi, I’ve had my appointment tonight and although the consultant did mention an MUA if I had problems in the future, he was quite happy with my bend at 85 degrees at 7 weeks and as long as I carry on with physio exercises I will have a good outcome. Best Wishes for your appointment. 
    • Posted

Hi Sharon,

That's so good to hear, well done you! Fingers crossed I'll have the same understanding tomoro. I bet it was such a relief to know that everything is progressing nicely. I'll let you know how I get on.

Best wishes

• Posted

Yes, it was a HUGE relief for me.  Please do let me know how you get on. 
    • Posted

Hi

Sorry its taken me a few days to reply I think ive been in shock!.

?Went to consultant and measured at 90 degrees and was immediately told that I needed a manipulation within 2 weeks. Its taken quite a while to get my head round. I go for my pre assessment on Monday then have it done the following Wednesday. He said that as I am only 52 he wants the bend to be at 120/130 as soon as possible for better recovery. I will be in for the day only but has warned me to expect big pain afterwards. I'm terrified and to make things worse I have an enormous needle phobia! Hope you are doing well, Ill keep in touch .

• Posted

Oh my goodness, you’ve just shocked me too!!! How different hospitals and surgeons can have different opinions!  It wouldn’t surprise me if I have to, my bend hasn’t improved at all this week. Well, all I can say is good luck and PLEASE let me know if is worth having done. I am 50, so in the same position, wanting a quick recovery. I’m possibly going back to work soon and I walk like a zombie! I’m guessing that because I’m NHS but had it done at a private hospital, he was trying to get a quick result and signed me off!  Anyway, take care& hope it goes well. 

• Posted

Hi Jane, thought I’d check on how you are after your manipulation?  In fact, been thinking about you for a few days!  I’m still struggling to get the bend so may have it done eventually, so interested to see how your recovery is going and how you’re coping with more swelling etc. Best Wishes, Sharon 
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, 

I go this Wednesday for it! Not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks with me now but whole leg has been so much more painful this week after physio session! Got dr to up my meds in preparation so fingers crossed.  I'll let you know. It's so frustrating isn't it knowing that your putting your all into the exercises and not getting any further forward. Take care jane

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

Well it's done! Went down to theatre at 2.40 back in recovery at 3, on ward by 3.30 with a cup of tea. Physio arrived at 4!!. Got bend to 130 in theatre and then 120 with physio but I had lots of medication in me. Came home and never slept a wink as pain relief had worn off. Pain as bad as when first done. Back at physio 10 yesterday morning and bend back to 90. Physio said stiffness afterwards is very normal but to see  dr for stronger painkillers to try and fight my way through pain. Going there shortly and back to physio on Monday. Hope the corners turned, keep at it we'all get there just slowly .

• Posted

Hi Jane, glad it’s all over for you, hope that bend improves!  I’m still around 90 so will see what it’s like in a few weeks before deciding to have it done or not!  Please let me know how you progress, will be interested to hear. Hope the pain subsides quickly for you. Sharon 
    • Posted

Hi Jane, just checking how your recovery is going after you had your MUA?  I’m now 100 degrees at 10 weeks so going in the right direction but it’s hard work!  Hope the manipulation was a success for you. Best Wishes, Sharon 
    • Posted

Hi Sharon,

2 weeks today from MUA and 11 weeks from TkR and I can say that I have finally turned the corner! 105 bend at physio yesterday and walking without aid outside! The difference in 2 weeks is amazing I can even sleep on my side. I'm so glad your at 100 I'm sure you won't need to go through it now, well done you👍. Know we've still got a long way to go but at least there's a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Keep working hard and I'm sure we will both get there. Sending best wishes and thoughts. Jane 

• Posted

So glad it worked out for you. I’m really hoping I won’t have to go down that route now.  Still to ride a bike whilst sitting but working on it!  Well done you, it’s so nice to be able to walk without an aid, isn’t it?  Keep going.  Hope to speak to you again. 
    • Posted

Hi Jane, just thought I’d find out how your knee is now?  It’s a month since we discussed MUA. How is your bend now?  I’m stuck at 100 & physio yesterday suggested I go back to consultant for MUA. Feel like crying, really thought I was past this stage. Hoping you might have some positives for me. Best Wishes. Sharon 

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear you've reached a bit of a plateau . 100 is still good so early in the recovery. If he does suggest MUA please don't worry it was honestly the best thing I did and I've moved forward so quickly since that I've even gone back to work this week on a phased return. Bend at 130 constant, only problem I'm still having is down stairs although I must admit to a little swelling and  discomfort after work the last couple of days, but I'm sure it's all part of the process. Take care and let me know what's decided. Chin up! Jane

• Posted

Thanks Jane, glad all is well with you.  I’ve also returned to work on a phased return but it is a struggle & I definitely don’t do stairs at work.  I’ll let you know what happens if & when I see the consultant. Best Wishes. Sharon 

• Posted

Hi Jane, we spoke about MUA some months ago. I’ve now had it done yesterday and it was certainly not as bad as I thought it would be. Procedure and recovery were very quick, even though my consultant got my bend to 135, it is nowhere near that now, although it does feel free.  I start hydrotherapy in a couple of days and my PT is determined to get a great bend!  Fingers crossed! Hope your recovery is still going well. Sharon 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.