Has anyone experienced MUA manipulation under anaesthetic?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I’m 7 weeks post TKR and I see the consultant tomorrow. My physio has measured me at 85 degrees so it’s on the borderline in UK for having MUA.  Apart from that have little pain but a lot of stiffness. Currently walking around home with no aids but use one only when out. Has anyone experienced MUA, manipulation under anaesthetic?  I’m a little worried this will be discussed so would like anyone’s experiences please so that I can get it clear in my head before I go for the appointment. Thanks in advance.

3 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sharon - I'm coming up to 6 months since my TKR. After around 5 weeks I underwent an MUA. I appreciate that we all respond differently, but I came round from my MUA shouting F**k in the recovery room, such was the pain. Next thing I remember was the anaesthetist running towards me, a splash of something on my arm, where he presumably missed with whatever he was feeding into my catheter and then I came round 3 hours later in my room. It has been suggested that I should consider another MUA and this time I will be treated to a local injection into the knee, so when I come round, it would be considerably less painful for the first 5-6 hours. You might want to ask about this...

So firstly, it might hurt !

Secondly and more importantly, my surgeon (he's a big bloke) only managed to bend my leg to around 100 degrees during the MUA and had an extension of around -10. Prior to this I had 6 sessions of physio solely focussing on flex and extension.

I went home that evening having rented myself a CPM machine, which I strapped myself into for the next 4 weeks, twice a day, with a bag of painkillers. Prior to my MUA my flex was around 70 degrees. Each time I started up my CPM I was starting at 70 degrees and over the next 90 minutes or so, I was able to increase this to the mid-90's. Fairly pleased with myself, given the surgeon only managed 100. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but there was no way I wasn't going to do as I was told, so no matter what the outcome, it wouldn't be as a result of me 'not trying'!

Problem was that if I stopped the CPM, grabbed a drink and started up again, within 3 or 4 minutes my leg would have reverted back to its 'original' 70 degrees. i.e The CPM can move my leg to 95 degrees, but there was no way I could do this under my own steam. 

I'm summary therefore, I underwent an MUA and then wasted £400 on a CPM machine, not to mention the pain twice a day, to find that even now, my flex remains around the 70 degree mark and ext of -10, so walking not an option. I'm now on a more gentle physio program and things are moving very slowly in the right direction.

I'm not knocking the MUA, but for me it didn't work, so think hard about it, as you will be undoing all the repair work to date. 

I'm seeing my consultant in 3 weeks and know he will be suggesting another MUA. Given the fact that it achieved nothing and that my new gentle physio is achieving something (albeit very slow), I would steer clear. You can always have an MUA in a couple of months if needed. Don't rush into it as I did......

Regards - Peter

• Posted

Thanks Peter, thankfully over the weeks since my post I haven’t had an MUA and on my own I am now at 100 ROM. So I am going in the right direction.  Best Wishes.
  • Posted

I had a TKR on June 3rd 17 and had an MUA 5 1/2 weeks after. I wont pretend it didnt hurt, so I suggest you ask for a local in the knee, which should take the brunt of the discomfort for 5 - 6 hours. 

I need another MUA and am currently getting my head around it. I have been offered the local for the next one. It wasnt offered for the first.

The surgeon (a big bloke) only managed 100 degrees during the MUA. Thereafter, starting the next morning I strapped myself into my rented CPM (bending machine) twice a day for around 2 hours each session. I did this for 4 weeks.

Each session started at 65 degrees. Over the next 2 hours I increased this to the mid 90's with a bag of painkillers. Pretty close to the result of the MUA.

In spite of this, my flex remains at a max of 65, hence time to try it again.

I wish you all the best, but DO ask for a local. I think it will make a huge difference..

• Posted

Sharon67, I'm sorry you have to get a 2nd MUA. Yikes! Maybe you should go for a second opinion first. I'm just curious why your surgeon couldn't get full range from the first MUA?

I had my TKR 4 months ago today and then a MUA 8 weeks after that. Very painful, I agree. My range is about 128 when pushed by my therapist. This surgery is definitely more painful and frustrating then I thought and my hopes are it will be worth it in about a year. Good luck and speedy recovery 😁

• Posted

Oops, my message was suppose to be for Peter not Sharon. My bad. Speedy recovery to you too Sharon ❤
  • Posted

Hi .Well it’s 2.30 am in the morning and I am lying here thinking about the prospect of having an MUA, Saw my consultant today 6 weeks post TKR. Wants to do MUA at 10 weeks if I do not improve. Kinda over the whole deal at the moment. Took myself off all my pain meds...was feeling nausea all the time and breaking out in hives and welts under my eyes.... improved now that off the meds but  not helping with the minimal exercises I am able to manage. Knee just does not want to do what it is told, At this stage I feel like I have an alien in my knee I just want to rip out! I am finding this forum helpful knowing I am not the only one struggling, Never thought this would happen in my 50’s.Thanks for the vent anyway. Sharon67 onwards and upwards is all I can say, Just put it  in the hands of the gods I say! All the best,,, I feel you pain physically and I think worse mentally ( I think it is the fear of the unknown that is the scared bit).
  • Posted

I had MUA Feb 5, 2018 without a problem. Took surgeon 10 minutes. Was at 90% before MUA 120% after.

Took a week of theraphy to get there.

• Posted

Hi, I avoided the MUA months ago but now I’m 5 months post TKR and my bend hasn’t changed for 2 months.  I’ve been advised to have one now so I’m booked in for 26th February.  Hope I have a good result as you have.  Maybe you could help with a few queries?  How long was your recovery after MUA?  We’re you back on crutches?  I’ve returned to work so it would be good to know how long I’ll be off for again. Thanks.  
    • Posted

As its only been 3 days since MUA at therapy I'm doing 110. Still using walker. Havent returned to work yet,, per Dr's order. Yes it hurts like when knee was first done, but need to keep exercising, icing, elevating, and resting. At this point pushing myself thru the pain. Good luck with yours.

• Posted

Hi there, I have been reading this thread because I was told yesterday that I have to have a mua on both knees. I had tkr on right knee 6 months ago. I have never gotten better than 7 on extension and 90 on flexion. The left tkr is 3 months and right after surgery it was 0 and 100 but that has gotten worse over the weeks. It is 11 and 95 now. I am confused because the surgeon said I can return to work in 3-4 days. Physical therapy folks said I will have appointments every day for at least two weeks and I will not be able to drive for while . My questions: how often did you go to p.t.? When were you able to drive? Will I be back to using my Walker? Should I put this off for a few months or just get it over with? I hope someone can help. This news threw me for a loop and I am still stunned.
    • Posted

Hi, after I had MUA I only used crutches to leave hospital, after that pretty good. Swelling and pain didn’t hit until 3 days later.  I drove after a few days as bend was good.  PT I didn’t get to as snow hit and roads blocked but got on with exercises at home religiously.  Eventually got PT and went 3 times a week for 2 weeks. Also went to local pool to do hydrotherapy exercises there. I’m now 120, hoping for more when leg back to no swelling. Hope this helps. Any other questions, let me know. Sharon 
  • Posted

Thanks Sharon. That helps. ALOT. I have a pool to go to. I have been walking, squats and lunges. Kicking is hard. I hope mine is as successful as yours.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.