Has anyone experienced night sweats with Sertraline?

Posted , 61 users are following.

I have been taking Sertraline for about 18 months now and I think it has helped me a lot. However, one thing I am now plagued with, which seems to have coinsided with when I started to take it, is night sweats.

I know that hot flushes are listed as a sdie effect, but this is FAR worse than this. I would say about 4-5 nights a week I wake up and I'm sweating so much it's like I've just got out of shower. It's totally gross!!!

My bedroom is not too warm and I don't feel too hot when I gp to bed. The Dr has done blood tests to see if anything abnormal shows up, but that's all OK.

I would be really interested to know if anyone else suffers with this. I don't want to come off it or change if it's nothing to do with the Sertraline, but it's become a real problem in my life!!!

Here's hoping neutral

2 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm having night sweats too. It really is horrible. Saying that, I seem to be having all the side effects of this drug. The worst is the upset stomach, I've lost over a stone in two weeks I've been on them
  • Posted

Hi, I've been having really bad night sweats on Sertraline which my GP has put down to the menopause, I'm 47. I don't have any hot flushes in the day though. They are very distressing and seem to follow no particular pattern. I am in the process of reducing the drugs but the night sweats are just as bad. I'm hoping they'll go

though. They sound very similar to yours, I often have to change the bed in the night.

• Posted

I have been slowly coming off sertraline for the last couple of months to see if the night sweats improve, as I was finding them very distressing and they made me feel disgusting. However, the sweats are still as bad, but interestingly I found that when I went away skiing for a week recently they were almost negligible. So, I decided to do some research on the net. I found a lot of comments that memory foam mattresses can cause people to overheat and also that down duvets are not good at wicking away the moisture. We bought a memory foam mattress about a year ago and changed our duvet from synthetic to down about 6 months ago, so I am wondering if my prob is actually these two things compounded!! So I have ordered a woolen duvet and will consider getting a mattress cover or at a last resort changing the mattress. I'll laugh like a drain if it was nothing to do with the Sertraline!! I am just about coping coming off it, but I do find it a constant struggle, but would rather not be dependant on the drugs unless I really need them. I'll let you know how I get on with the change of bedding!!
    • Posted

Hello there, 

This is so interesting. I have a memory foam pillow. Also really struggling with night sweats. 

What was the outcome of changing your mattress? 

I tried to wean myself off Serlife - halving the dose - after 3 months I couldnt cope. Back on 50mg. Coping much better but these dam sweats! 

• Posted

I have already bought a wool filled duvet and my mattress is topped with memory foam but I was fine on it until I started Sertraline. Be careful with the duvet, a lot of wool ones are lined with polypropylene which will make the sweating worse. I got mine online from baavet to try to stop the night sweats, I love the duvet but it hasn't made any difference to the problem.
  • Posted

Oh no, don't say that!! I was hoping it would be my salvation!!! Oh well, maybe the Sertraline is still in my system - I went down to half dose for a good while before I stopped last week so could still be. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. I hope we find a solution!!
    • Posted

I suffered night sweats on 40mg of Prozac and they only got worse when I switched to 100mg of Steraline. Doctors have tested me for HIV (negative), certain cancers, and heart conditions with everything being normal. Since my switch to steraline I've been getting extreme head aches, and vivid dreams. I've asked to be switched to another antidepressantantidepressant, but haven't heard anything from the doctors yet.
    • Posted

Hey there

years ago i was put sertraline and found i suffered from hard core sweating. so the doctors switched me to citalopram and i think i can remember the sweats going away.  just recently ive had to go back on anti-depressents and have been put back on sertraline and once again am finding i sweat a lot so am going to ask to go back on to citalopram again. its a shame really as i find sertraline works really well, its just the sweating is becoming unbearable.

• Posted

Its not necessarily Sertraline Katharine. I get night sweats too and i'm on Fluoxetine (Prozac). It could be the illness not the drug as my sister who used to be on Fluoxetine gets them too. I am a bloke btw.
  • Posted

That's interesting and certainly would make sense. Perhaps the change of bedding will just help to control it. My new duvet should arrive early next week.
  • Posted

I also put a sheet between me and the duvet - saves on washing the duvet cover so often and i find it more comfortable.
  • Edited

Yes I get these night sweats too, I also get very vivid dreams does anyone else get these?
    • Posted

I take 100mg sertraline daily get severe night sweating and very vivid dreams .been going on for months thought it was just me!

• Edited

Yes I have both! My dreams have always been bad but now I wake up screaming and my bed is soaking wet. Tempted to change my tablet
  • Edited

Hi, yes I also get very vivid dreams every night. Not particularly unpleasant ones, thank goodness. I have dropped my Sertraline gradually from 150 to 50 mg and am finding myself to be more anxious, short tempered and stressed. I am hoping these will pass. I also feel very tired unless I have a good 8 hours plus sleep per night. Does anyone else feel like this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.