Has anyone experienced palpitations (irregular heart beat) with low ferritin but no anemia?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For a little over a month, I've been having fluttering episodes in my chest that happen out of nowhere. My ferritin is low at 8.5 although my hemoglobin and hematocrit are all fine. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I have other symptoms of anemia like lethargy, fatigue, lightheadedness, etc.

I'm supposed to get an iron infusion tomorrow (venofer) but I'm pretty nervous about how I'm going to feel. What are the symptoms I can expect? I'm hoping the infusion doesn't make my palpitations worse.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Stay off of caffeine. No coffee, tea, chocolate. You will feel so much better.

• Posted

Hello Natalie,

In my opinion you should definitely get the infusion and that will be the start to feeling better. I had anemia years ago from fibroids, and had an infusion after the procedure I had to remove them. I felt much better after the infusion. Before that I almost fainted a few times, had terrible headache and was very weak to even walk fast. Immediately after the infusion the symptoms went away. From what I remember the day of the infusion, I was cold and had the taste of metal in my mouth afterwards and felt a bit drained. It is important to rest afterwards, and you will probably feel better 24 hours later. Don't try to go about doing day-to-day activities afterwards. Also, be sure to take a high potency iron pill afterwards to take daily. I'm sure your doctor will recommend something. My Dr. recommended SlowFe but I didn't take it because I was scared to take a daily iron pill of that range being the daily recommended is only 18 mg. I wish I listened because now years later my iron is low (definitely not as low as it was) but still a little low and now I am just starting the higher dose of Iron pills I was recommended years ago. Be your own advocate with your treatment, ask lots of questions, and share your concerns about getting the infusion with the Dr. But trying to get your iron up with only the pills will take much longer and with the heart palpitations you should not go the long route. My aunt had low potassium (I know not iron but still) and had the heart palpitations and the Dr. told her if she had kept ignoring it would not have been good. Thank the Lord she listened and they gave her what she needed to get her potassium back up quickly. Prayers you are healed and feeling better very soon! Hope this helps you make the right decision.

• Posted

Hello Natalie,

In my opinion you should definitely get the infusion and that will be the start to feeling better. I had anemia years ago from fibroids, and had an infusion after the procedure I had to remove them. I felt much better after the infusion. Before that I almost fainted a few times, had terrible headache and was very weak to even walk fast. Immediately after the infusion the symptoms went away. From what I remember the day of the infusion, I was cold and had the taste of metal in my mouth afterwards and felt a bit drained. It is important to rest afterwards, and you will probably feel better 24 hours later. Don't try to go about doing day-to-day activities afterwards. Also, be sure to take a high potency iron pill afterwards to take daily. I'm sure your doctor will recommend something. My Dr. recommended SlowFe but I didn't take it because I was scared to take a daily iron pill of that range being the daily recommended is only 18 mg. I wish I listened because now years later my iron is low (definitely not as low as it was) but still a little low and now I am just starting the higher dose of Iron pills I was recommended years ago. Be your own advocate with your treatment, ask lots of questions, and share your concerns about getting the infusion with the Dr. But trying to get your iron up with only the pills will take much longer and with the heart palpitations you should not go the long route. My aunt had low potassium (I know not iron but still) and had the heart palpitations and the Dr. told her if she had kept ignoring it would not have been good. Thank the Lord she listened and they gave her what she needed to get her potassium back up quickly. Prayers you are healed and feeling better very soon! Hope this helps you make the right decision.

• Posted

Hi Natalie. i know this post is old but did you have the infusion? my ferratin also 8.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.