Has anyone experienced severe joint pain from taking levothyroxine?

Posted , 22 users are following.

My Dr started me on levothyroxine 2 months ago stating I had an interactive thyroid problem. Since starting this medication I've experienced severe leg pain/cramps, arm, elbow, wrist and hand pain, almost like I have carpal tunnel. My shoulder hurt and I'm crippled. Almost like I'm a 90 year old. My Dr switched me to a higher dose and I started getting more of these same symptoms. I talked to my Dr and she said to keep taking it that I have no other options. But I was functioning better than I am now taking levothyroxine. I'm frustrated and I'm increasingly feeling like an invalid due to these symptoms. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them?

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I thought I was imagining it. I'm to have my thyroid removed in 2 weeks, levothyroxin has always made me sick while trying to take it so I always stop taking it after a few days, only to take it rarely. When my knock gortoir started swelling huge, I went back to my doctor for my hypothyroidism. He then told me it would have to be removed along with a nodule taking up most of my thyroid. He put me on 175 mcg . I've taken it correctly and have experienced horrific disabling pain in my legs. I stopped taking it for a few days and the pain almost went away completely. Took it again this morning and my legs are SCREAMING in agony. Thankyou for this article. I thought it was only me, I'm calling my doctor in the morning. Good luck to all of you

• Posted

I have sub clinical hypothyroidism and was put on 75 mcg of Levothyroxine, my heart was racing and I could not sleep. I asked my doc to change to 25 mcg he did not want and prescribed 50 mcg. Since I started taking it, my right shoulder and arm was hurting so badly that I could not lift it above my chin, I was losing strength on my arm. I stopped taking levothyroxine and the pain is gone, like nothing happened to my arm.

I am not taking anything right now. I will look for an endocrinologist before I take anything. 

• Posted

good stop taking it if its causing u problems. i weaned off of it after 7 years at 75mg...joint pain disappeared ..iv got my life back
    • Posted

Tania and aabbb, I eventually gave up on the thyroid meds, as they seem to do more harm than good. I got the best relief from essential amino acids complex, and additional phenylalanine.

In addition to all the other horrible side effects remaining from the Levo, it seems I have chronic pancreatitis. My guess is the pancreatitis causes malabsorption and nutritional deficiencies which worsen the thyroid disease.

Just throwin’ it out since I figure other people may have similar combinations of problems.

• Posted

how long did it take before your joint pain disappeared? I have been suffering extreme pain for six years and just 8 months ago i realized that the Levothroxine was making me feel worse. I've since been on Amour, but when i went from my family doctor to an Endo she refused to give that to me and put me on Tirosint which is just another name brand of Levo. About a week ago i stopped taking the Tiro and im feeling ok so far as for depression and fatigue issuses, but the pain in my body especially my legs is horrible. I dont know where to go from here. I too went from 165 pounds to 215. It hurts to shower, wash my hair, stand up, walk, load the dishwasher, you name it. I pray daily to have my life back, and could use any and all suggestions. Thank you so much.

• Posted

I have 5 autoimmune diseases and treat them holistically

with the exception of my thyroid because no matter what

I have done, nothing has worked unless I am watching my

diet along with taking a thyroid supplement. I was taking

armour for nearly 20 years but last year it stopped working.

I was told by my dr. when one of your thyroid levels-your t3

I believe it was-gets within a certain range, armour will no

longer work. So, he placed my on both levo and synthyroid

at different times and I suffered for months until I couldn't

handle it any longer and removed myself. During the time I

was taking this my joints hurt so badly that even after I was

removed from the meds it never went away. Thinking it was

my lupus giving me flareups because of taking something new

I was obviously having an allergic reaction to it, so, I had blood

tests done and to m,y surprise it wasn't my lupus but sjogrens

that had been causing my flareups.

I told the dr. I have had sjogrens for years with little issue

UNTIL he prescribed levo and synthroid. I believe those drugs

instigated my sjogrens into a fulltime flare up mode and

in the one year time frame of nothing working, I went back to

the drawing board. Doing my own research and tired of suffering

I went on a very strict diet which prior to last year I was already

following with a gluten free, wheat free, yeast free diet. But I

looked at everything I was doing since I couldn't take armour

and the other thyroid meds would only make me have flare ups

again and decided to remove lechtins, histimine and salicylates

from my diet as much as I can (I eat either none or very low)

which basically means I can only eat certain fish, no dairy at all,

only certain nuts, grass fed meat (not a big meat eater though) etc.

It is an incredibly limited diet, however, within one weeks time

of getting on it I was nearly symptom free. Eventhough I have a

food list I work off off, some of the "yes items" I am finding still

don't agree with me so once I find out i can't have them-when I get

a flare up-I eliminate it and move forward. Should I experience

some joint pain I will take a pain reliever but I can only speak for

me in that removing these inflammatory items from my diet it has

helped.

Unfortunately, many of the thyroid meds prescribed are high in salicylates, which compounds the issue. I know what is working

for me, so I have found that diet, seemingly more than meds is

helping me live a more pain-free life. I am not completely without

the pain, but from one year ago to right now, huge difference.

Do your research. Find what inflammatory items are in the foods

you eat, even the healthy foods that may not bother other people,

but may be bad for you. Look for alternative thyroid supplements

(I am currently doing this) and most of all don't give up hope. It's

difficult to stay positive but I am sure with perseverance there is something you can find that can work. As always, any thing new you

do, check with your doctor.

Good luck,

T.L.

• Posted

hi I just read your post and i was wondering if you found anything g other than levothyroxine to help you? i am on 50 daily and my left arm and shoulder are so messed up. my arm was hurting so badly my doctor said its tennis elbow and gave me a shot of cortisone. now my shoulder hurts constantly

• Posted

Hi,

I just saw your post. My arms, shoulders specifically are in

a lot of pain, especially firs thing in the morning. Stretching,

a hot/cold showers seem to help, and if needed OTC pain med.

Still looking for a thyroid alternative but nothing as of yet.

Good luck in your journey to wellness,

T.L.

• Posted

There are literally thousands of posts on this site from people who’ve had bad experiences with sude effects of levothyroxin.
  • Posted

Hi,

I had been taking Armour for about 18 years and it worked very, very

well for me, but recently because my T3 was at the correct level,

was no longer allowed to take it. So my dr placed me on

Levothyroxine instead and immediately after taking it i began

experiencing severe joint pain: everywhere from the joints in my toes,

to my wrists, knees, hips, it was horrible. So I stopped after 

about 3 weeks because the pain was unbearable so he

switched me to synthroid with the same results. 

The problem is, even though I have stopped taking them both,

my joint pain has never left, which is something I never ever

had before. Now I can't take Armour nor the other items as

well so I am looking for something else to take.

Hopefully I find something.

Hope you are feeling better,

TL

• Posted

Hi TL11, I had similar results from the levothyroxin... where its basically messed me up so bad I can’t tolerate any meds.

I take essential amino acids and phenylalanine. Be careful with the phenylalanine, as too much can cause headaches. I also do acupuncture. 

Some people find ThyroGold works great. My mother takes this and is doing extremely well on it.

• Posted

I was on levo for 2 years. Prior to taking it I was on a natural supplement and lost 8 pounds. I was worried about my thyroid and went to an endo. My numbers esp TPO were elevated. He started me on levo. Arthritis, gout, insomnia and several other irritating symptoms. My last bloodwork was worse then when I started so I decided to go back to the natural.

Within a few days the gout and arthritis are gone. I lost a pound or two and an urinate like I should be. I feel this was a problem with the levo and let to water retention, bloating etc. I also had some pretty significant depression and crying before getting off levo. Overall I feel my mood is more stable and not depressed. Im going to try to continue this route. I dont know if there is a possible allergy or the med doesnt agree to me.

• Posted

HYPO2019,

Thanks for posting. I've had severe water retention, bloating and weigh gain with the levo, along with the inducement of fibromyalgia and lupis.

I had such severe gut problems that I wasn't able to ear grains or raw vegetables for many years.

Now, off the levo, the gut issyes are healing.

But, because I was on high doses of levo, I've had multiple bone breaks, mostly hand and foot bones. It's pretty horrible. I can't do much to exercise because my bones are so fragile.

My conclusion is that levothyroxin does more harm than good. It should be taken off the market.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.