Has anyone fallen on TKR????

Posted , 9 users are following.

So we went to my aunt's for Thanksgiving dinner. As we were leaving it was dark down the driveway and BAM I tripped on some landscape rock. I was panicky at first because of the TKR and yes fell right on the recovering knee. I got to the car ok and made it home. I had more difficulty walking and seems swollen and scraped. I don't think I did any damage to the knee but will see in the morning. Has anyone had something like this happen??

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I haven't. I had my RTKR in April and I haven't had the misfortune of falling. I hope everything is fine. I'll be following your progress. Good luck...

• Posted

Thank you so much! Im glad you haven't fell! It's scary! Im sore but hope that's all. I'll keep you posted!

Melissa

• Posted

HI Melissa. i feel your pain, yes it's happened to me. I'd had the nurse out on the morning to remove the staples and dressings. Later as I stepped out of the back door, wearing shorts, when my foot caught on the step and over I went. I hit the ground face first, my knee then felt like it had bounced off the ground. An ambulance was called as not only did my knee hurt but my hip was in pain. The Medic team cleaned me up and rushed me to hospital. On arrival at the hospital they found my wound had split open. It was X-rayed and the joint looked straight and fine. Fortunately the inner stitches had held. The wound was cleaned out fully. They then left the wound to heal without any new stitches just dressings. As there could have been unseen foreign bodies which could have infected the wound. The pain i had was around the knee joint and for that they gave me extra pain relief. I walked out the next morning without too much discomfort. Over the following days the scar healed over and there was no further concerns. The swelling and pain subsided within a few days and my recovery progressed as normal.

If the scar looks OK and not open and the swelling isn't too bad. Then other than an X-ray for piece of mind I'd just make use of ice packs and maybe extra painkillers as needed.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and no further problems in your recovery. dave.

• Posted

Oh wow that's a painful story! Im glad you are ok! I am just so aggravated this happened! Overnight it seems to have swelled some , incision closed no damage there but, I feel I have regressed with my walking a month. I needed a came or walker to go to the bathroom. I can no doubt feel the pain!! I'm scared this is going to be a setback! I don't need any setbacks! I will just see how it goes. My surgeon is closed till Monday! So pain pills and ice till I can call him!

Thanks Dave for your story it has helped me process what has happened a bit better!

Melissa

• Posted

I feel so bad for you, You were only a couple weeks post op it sounds when it happened to you? That's so unfortunate! My fall was scary but at least it's healed enough and didn't break open. It feels like it's just sore! Hopefully it's just sore!!

• Posted

I think the shock was the worst thing at the time. Managed to break my nose and teeth bite through my lips. They did think at first that I'd broken the hip of my TKR leg. Luckily next morning they decided i didn't need to go to theatre, for a replacement hip opp. Within a week I started feeling better and was soon getting about as good as before the accident.

• Posted

My second knee is at 6 months but balance is an issue for me. I've tripped about 5 times in the last two years and don't have the strength to recover. However I am still fairly flexible at 68 and just relax and roll with it so to speak. It's usually been on grass while I'm out walking and I am so keen not to damage my camera that I don't think of it till I try and get up (the hard bit!). So far no damage to knee.

• Posted

Oh my that's terrible you keep falling. I'm so upset this has happened. Dr closed till Monday so ice and pain pills! I hope you keep on your feet!

Take care!

Melissa

• Posted

Thanks - but don't worry Melissa - it's not that often. I've not hurt myself either - yet.

• Posted

hi

omg think i would die if i fell on it lol xx hope u are recovering from fall.

saw physio today and in the light of him saying the knee is very strong..think if you work on movements and no great reduction in movements and no great increase in pain or swelling think u be ok xx

• Posted

Thanks Penny! I'm thinking its just sore from falling on it, I'm hoping!! I sure am feeling the fall though! Im just so aggravated because I don't go out unless necessary and decided lets go to Thanksgiving! And wouldn't you know it I fall.Glad to hear physio is telling you knee is strong!! That's great!! See your getting there! I'm happy for you!

• Posted

Been on here 2 1/2 years plus I've fallen on my TKR knee a number of times. Never heard of anyone relating that they damaged or dislocated the knee from a simple fall. This is not to rule out the possibility...but it seems like that would be quite rare (would have to look into the stats to be sure).

People need to remember that the KNEE IS METAL!!! You can't really damage it by falling a few inches or even a foot or two. If it was cemented in place, could the glue dislodge? Yes, a possibility...but haven't heard of it happening. Does the skin hurt from the scrape on the ground? Yup...just like every other one you've had since you were a kid. Can it get swollen for a day or two? Yup...just like every other one you've had since you were a kid. Will it be all healed in a week? Yup...just like every other one you've had since you were a kid.

In other words, don't read anything more into it than just a simple, ordinary fall and bruise. The metal knee itself can take it...no problem. Exceptions? Sure. If the pain persists or the ROM is affected or the knee becomes unstable...go see your doc and get an x-ray. Otherwise, treat it like your mom did for you as a kid...no big deal.

• Posted

i have fallen several times, but not on the knee. i had both my knees done in 2017. the left is great but the right leg is like a noodle. The first time i fell i had to "walk" across the house to the cellar stairs on my butt so i could drop my legs and stand up. Then i fell in the barn and scraped my knee on the barn floor trying to pull myself up. Today i fell in the hay. it was very soft and comfy. i got on my left knee and grabbed the door knob and got right up. i realize that my right leg is about dead. left one is normal. and it's not the knee but the whole leg. Someone told me i need a hip replacement. NO WAY. I am done with all this stuff. i just have to remember that my right leg is pretty much useless if i fall. Not sure if PT would help or not. I was told,I may never be able to get on my knees again. but I can get on the left one. So that helps for getting up. i don't regret the surgeries because I was in constant pain. But now,I am weak. You can't win I guess.

• Posted

Oh wow! You have fallen alot but managed to not get hurt! That's great you had hay near you when you fell. You have been lucky! Well I'm sure the knee scape burned a bit. A hip replacement now????? How was that determined??? I feel the same way about my surgery I'm almost 6 weeks and still alot of pain because my other knee is bad as well. I will be replacing the other one as well! I was in equal or more pain before the surgery!! Hope you feel better!!

• Posted

Yes, mixed feelings here with a two year old and six month oldreplacement. (Sounds like children and I guess my life has seemed to revolved round them the last few years!) If I fall I need to go on my side and use my arms as I can't bend either past 90 deg to get on knees. On the other hand I am walking longer with little pain except in the new one from what I think is ligament damage lingering from the large amount of re-alignment I had to have. Strength is coming back with exercises though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.