Has anyone felt they have built a tolerance to their biologic meds?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been taking enbrel for over ten years now. When I first started taking it I almost felt like I was cured of my AS. The last few years I have been getting stiffer and my posture is getting worse. I have become more dependent on pain killers. Recently was diagnosed with latent tuberculosis after being hospitalized with pneumonia, so no enbrel for me.

I've spoken with the doctor about switching biological meds but I'm worried about possible worse side effects than the enbrel gives me.

Anyone else experience this? And what did you do to help with it?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

David my 22 year old son was on enbrel last year for 3months. He decided to go down the whole food plant based route and cut out dairy and animal proteins. He no longer takes any pain killers or drugs for his AS. Not sure if this helps you much but wish you all the best for the future. AS is a crippling and painful disease. 
    • Posted

Interesting. I have tried to modify my diet in the past by cutting out sugar and carbs. Didn't help much. I'm willing to give that approach a try. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.