Has anyone found any miracles in fissure pain relief?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been suffering with a fissure since ~March, thinking it was hemmorhoids. I went to a colorectal surgeon a few weeks ago and was diagnosed with a fissure. We are trying conservative treatment (low fodmap diet for my ibs and sitz baths 2-3x a day) for two months to see if it heals.

I am trying to wait patiently for the two months to pass but it hurts so much. There is a little relief with the sitz bathes but as soon as I am done, the pain comes right back. My low fodmap diet has been giving me horrible diarrhea lately (as opposed to alternating between diarrhea and constipation) and every bowel movement is horribly painful.

As I said, I am trying to be patient, but I just want this to be over with. I am now homebound and feel like I cant do anything with my life. I am thankful I can work from home but I have trouble concentrating with the pain. Does anyone have any tips?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have been struggling with fissures since 2016, my doctor is now starting to take it seriously as my last flare up began Sept 6th and I have been bed ridden in pain since.

I do find relief when I take a muscle relaxant, have a bath, tylenol and use a CBD oral spray. I have put myself on a regular schedule of those (every 4 hours) and this keeps the pain under control for most of the day.

I also sleep when possible and use a heating pad.

I basically spend my days managing pain.

• Posted

I feel your pain, I've had fissures since May of this year. I'm on my way to recovery and I'll tell you how it happened.

First of all I want to thank the Heavenly Father and Jesus for helping me cope with this horrible condition. It led me into depression and anxiety a lot. I ask the Lord to help me heal everyday, and I do believe they've helped me tremendously as I am not in pain for hours after a bowel movement any more. So I have been taking sitz baths 1-3 times a day depending on how bad it is. Im on nitroglycerin ointment morning and night, i also use after BM. I cut red meat, fatty foods, and anything that stops me up for the most part. I took tylenol extra strength when my pain would last 12 hours a day after BM in the morning. I asked my doctor to prescribe me Linzess which was a God send for me since my mother in law happened to have some and let me try it. Beware if you dont have insurance though as it is a very costly drug. All my BMs just slide out. Its really important that you take it every day though to keep your bowels moving. Its been 4 weeks now since I've stayed on Linzess and Ive healed so much but I'm still cautious since it can easily come back. I hope you heal soon, I feel for you! Pain would be soo bad I was on the verge of tears. God bless you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.