Has anyone gone cold turkey after just taking Mirtazapine for 4 months

Posted , 11 users are following.

Started taking mirtazapine in June for insomnia, which it didn't help at all.  First month I took 15mg, second month 30mg and 3rd month 45mg now withdrawing from it with doctors knowledge.  Now into my first week of taking 15mg which I'm suppose to take for a month then take every other night for another month.  I have had CBT for my sleep and I'm sure now without the mirtazapine I would be sleeping wondered if anyone had withdrawn quicker when only taken them for a brief period.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

No I on them gor yrs and its only last 6 mths I was wt 30 for yrs then 6m ago 15then 15 every other night but 4 wks ago I detoxed from subutex (opiate) and now bk ip to 15 or 30 to sleep seeing dr soon hope cbt helped
  • Posted

I was on mirt for nearly 3month and started to reduce from 30mg to 22/1/2 for about ten days then down to 15mg for a week then one every other day for a week I took the last one on Saturday.am now on a different tablet but to soon to se if there working I think mirt was the worst antidepressants ive ever had and glad to be rid of them 
    • Posted

Hi Dave i didnt think mirtazapine did anything for my dpression bbut did help with sleep i had 0 motivation tiredness unbearable. went to see my psyciatist who said i could try Fluoxetine

Week1 tapper down mirtazapine to 30mg was on 45mg

Week2 15mg-also start the fluoxetine 20mg

Week3 stop mirtazapine 

Carry on with the 20mg fluoxeine  

Feel i have to try something any advice 

• Posted

I had a really bad reaction when put on these go put me on them to change from Venlafaxine and I'm sure I had the seritine syndrome which was really suicidal worst I've ever felt that's having depression for 30 years Take care I undrstand what your going through xx 
  • Posted

Even though it's only been four months...be careful about going off. Google CITA they have advise for going off the easy less painful way. Personally I'm done with all AD's as the side effects for most of them are horrid. Then there is the part about trying to get off them...be safe...and healthy!
  • Posted

Hi Inso, I have stopped taking Mirt for just over a week now, and as soon as i stopped i had nebr felt so good. There are good days and bad days but everyone has these. I had been on these for about four months.  No withdrawal symptoms so i guess i'm lucky. Hope this helps.

• Posted

hi there how long had you been on mirt brfore you went cold turkey am thinking of doing it myself as they are just awful tablets!....cheers
  • Posted

Hi

I agree 100% with Rose; the majority of people on this forum for Mirt' are saying it is HELL to go cold turkey, and I also recommend the CITA method.  Do your research, take a look at the MIRT WITHDRAWAL on here.

I wish you well.

• Posted

Hello, I have been taking Mirtazapine for about 6 months. Im not that deep into it, but my story is my dr made the impression mirtazapine was non physically addictive. So I didnt bother getting my prescription refiled becasuse I was busy with work and school, and would take care of it on Monday. Well come to find out from the forums around and the way I feel i am definitly in withdrawls. I was at 15 mg for  months straight. Suprisingly I was expecting the worse, and withdrawing from mirtazapine is cake walk compared to kicking heroin or suboxone. I am in hot and cold sweats, I have flu like symptoms, but it has been suprisingly easy compared to what I just mentioned. My last dose was wednesday night. So I am on day 3 now. I am going back to my psychiatrist Monday, and demanding something less physically addictive. I am taking 5-HTP, I know this can cause seritonine sezuires or whatever but I figured since I am a couple days out and its a really really rare thing I should be okay. That has made me feel extremely good for part of the day but wears off. Next I am taking 10mg melatoin the kind that desolves under your tounge (becasue lets face it, drugs that do that hit harder and work better). This is what I have done and how I have felt. 
  • Posted

I don't understand your question well.

but about my experiment with mirtazapine it's a nice medicine for insomnia

• Posted

Today is day 5. On day 2-3 I felt the worse. My hot and cold flashes have went away today on day 5. Insomnia is so much worse though. I only slept maybe two hours last night. Hopefully the rest of tonight goes smooth. Tomorrow I go back and see my psychiatrist. I'm not getting back on mirtazapine because I don't want to be hooked on two drugs, but hopefully I can get non addictive help with sleep beside melatonin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.