Has anyone gone private for large cyst removal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a large 22cm cyst and don't have first gynae appt for another three weeks. I've heard waiting lists can be long. I was thinking about self funding.

So I was wondering what NHS waiting times are typical and whether anyone has info on private. Cost, recommendations and waiting times.Of course I'll wait til I see gynae as same surgeon does private work.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had three weeks ago a 32cm cyst removed from my left ovary private. I totally recommend it. I had private health insurance but I do know the hospital where I went took self funding patients as well. I am so glad I went private. Where abouts are you? Xxx
  • Posted

Hi Jules,

I had a large complex cyst which was removed. From initial gynae appt to operation was less than 12 weeks.

If they suspect your cyst contains something they are not sure about then NHS guidelines say you have to be treated within that 12 week window. I wouldnt go private wait and see what happens, this is just my opinion. You must do what you think is right for you.

Xx

• Posted

Thank you for your replies.  I am in the North East.  The local private hospital does the surgery.   I was initially referred under 2 week rule after USS but they thought it was upper GI rather than gynae as they couldn’t see where the cyst was coming from due to size.  Had CT scan which showed ovaries more likely but not entirely sure.  Gastro consultant discussed with gynae team and now have gynae appt in 3 weeks.  They think it is most likely benign by how it looks, normal CA125 and no red flag symptoms but can’t confirm until it’s taken out and sent away obviously.  I don’t have many symptoms except bloating and now indigestion, maybe due to size. 

Did you both have keyhole or did you need open surgery due to size?   How long were you in hospital?

• Posted

I had open surgery a cut across my lower transverse ... It was going to be a cut down from belly button but the day before my surgeon was confident he could do it the other ... Making I think in theory my recovery a bit easier. and I was in hospital for three nights ... Was meant to be two nights but when I came down off the anesthitic I struggled so they kept in an extra night as a precaution.
    • Posted

Hi.

I had a cyst along with my left ovary and fallopian tube removed by key hole. I was in and out the same day.

As they cant be 100 percent sure with yours, from what you have said i thi k they will get you in quickly.

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.