Has anyone got advise on stopping diazepam HELP!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Iv been taking 2mg twice a day for nearly 4 months and my doctor wants me to cut down but hasn't given me advice on how to do it.

I was having 2mg then cut one and half so 1mg and it started making me feel ill so I upped it back up to 2mg twice a day.

So scared all my symptoms will come back

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cloe46559, I think your GP needs to advise you on this but if you take once a day cutting down to 1mg shouldn't cause any withdrawal symptoms, if twice a day keep one dose at 2mg the other 1mg abd see how you go, if you have problems go to Drs. 
  • Posted

See if you can talk to a drug/rehab counselor cause this has to be done slow and steadily to avoid difficult withdrawl systems. 
  • Posted

If your doing 4mg a day you might want to only drop by 1/4 of a tab, try that for a week, if you feel ok drop another 1/4 tab.. sounds like you have droped by to much in one go.

Your GP really should have offered you some guidance..

good luck & take it slow.

• Posted

How do I drop to 1/4 sorry for stupid question.

Gp said that I shouldn't find it difficult cutting down as was a low dose but I disagree

• Posted

Brake one of your 2mg tabs in half then break one of the halfs in half, you can then use 3/4 of it.
    • Posted

Ok thank you will try that. Do you think cutting by half is to much?

As doc has only given me 28 more and want me to taper of wig these 28 but I don't think that going to happen

• Posted

If you can stand cutting by half then I guess thats fine, I'm only going by how Ive reduced in the past, finding that cutting by half has been very hard for me with withdrawlas.

wishing you luck.

• Posted

How long was you on it and how many mg was u taking aday

So annoyed the doctor is not helping me with this

• Posted

Youre doing it right its called titrating. I too am afraid to just not have anything because of return of symptoms. Im on Ativan 3x a day 1mg and it barely cuts through
    • Posted

So you think cutting in half will be ok? I'm also on 100mg sertraline and have been now for six weeks so hoping they have kicked in and will help to reduce diazepam
  • Posted

Hi I am on a reduction programme of diazepam I have gone down from 30mgto 8 mg in three months now they will only reduce it by 1mg every 2wks the reduction should be advised by proper drug councillors I usually notice the reduction effects 5 days after the reduction my only advice is stick to whatever programme you have been given there. Is no denying your symptoms will be magnified but this does eventual stabilise until the next reduction it is worth reducing this drug as this particular drug likes to play tricks with our minds
    • Posted

I havnt been given a program as my doctor thinks I should be able to do it easy as not been on them long enough but just thinking about cutting down is freaking me out lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.