HAS ANYONE GOT LOWER ABDOMINAL PAIN

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have C E S . I have had 4 spinal surgeries done and now my back pain seems to be radiating to my lower abdomin.I didnt beleive the GP when she said the pain was coming from my back .help me if you can Iam in so much pain

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I don't get abdominal pain. But the nerve damage that causes CES results in a variety of sensory losses and sensations for different people. I read that neuropathic pain, which I get in my legs in the form of pins and needles, electric shocks and occasional cramps (all like a low level background hum that I've lived with for 10 years now) can't be treated with normal pain killers. But it can be controlled with anti-depressants and / or anti-epilepsy medication. I can confirm the latter. I had to take anti-depressants for a couple of years, about a year following the injury. And one of the side effects of the anti-depressants was neuropathic pain disappearing. After getting through the depression and onto a more optimistic path, helped by going to the gym once a week and later eating healthily and losing the post-injury weight, I did notice that without the anti-depressants, the neuropathic pain returned. Its just something I live with. Exercise, specifically the crosstrainer which is low impact, helps. It strengthens my legs, gives me a cardio workout, and seems to give the nerves somewhere to go. Doing planks and pushups are also really important as they strengthen the core which is important for supporting the back. Maybe core strengthening exercises would help the abdominal nerves? If its abdominal cramps from the lower intestine, maybe changing the diet could help? I've found that exercise and diet have played a huge part in how I live with CES.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. One just never knows wit nerve pain .I have just been put on Gaberpentin from my GP so will see what happens
  • Posted

Joycemadine,

it depends on which level of injury you have. I had an L4-5 laminectomy because of nerve compression however I also have issues at T10-12 and I have a section of colon that is paralyzed and digestive difficulties. Like artist 46259 says it is different for each one of us as to what manifests as a result of injury. The nerves have a pattern. Look at several different dermatome charts and you will start to see a pattern. It is madness having nerve damage. 

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me.I am hoping to see my spinal surgeon soon so we will see what he has to say.xx
  • Posted

Hi ... I do get lower abdominal pains though I took it to be the medication I'm on that was causing it and toilet troubles .. I didn't think it could be coming off back ... I would suggest looking at your diet and slight excercise could help you ... I do find eating healthy and avoiding some things help myself quite a bit ... Xxxx
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply .I am not sure if it is of my back either Will see what my spinal surgeon says when I next se him
    • Posted

Yeah that be best to ask consultant .. I'm on a lot of gabepinton to .. It does help a lot ...it's just a awful illness everyone seems to suffer differently too I notice to different extremes and symptoms xx take care x
    • Posted

Glad to know the gaberpentin helps you... hope it does the same for me . xxx

• Posted

Hope it does too... It takes a wee while to build up in your system but I sure find it it the best out them all for me x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.