Has anyone got lower back pain?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have permanent A/F and have not had back pain until I was diagnosed with A/F 5/6 years ago. I'm overweight,more sedentary since I was put on bisoprolol and rampril. I'm off the beta blocker now but still have awful backache when I stand to do anything. I feel ok when I walk and keep moving. Is my posture...I'm overweight or another side effect of the meds? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Elizabeth

Most people who are overweight have all kinds of joint problems; the skeleton was not designed to carry excess weight and with time the joints start to compress and the result is pain. That your back pain started with the afib episodes was, in my opinion, coincidental.

That said, afib also could be the result of faulty cardiac blumbing that results from being overweight.

You are in an exceptionally tough situation, but the best way to try to remedy it would be to start to lose weight and keep it off for good. Very tough situation, but I do not think you could fix the other issues without attacking the weight issue first.

Good luck

Frank.

• Posted

I agree! I have to lose some of this weight gained through lack of activity.. The beta blockers certainly slowed me down. Prior to the meds ,I was a fairly active person. Thanks for your reply.
  • Posted

The answer to your question is  for me  - No to back pain.    If you as you say you are ok walking then as frank61666 has replied it sounds like compression and you need a better chair.     As for bisoprolol and weight    - I am overweight but was consistently at the same weight until I went on bisoprolol  and boy have I put weight on across the tummy but that is typical from what I have read on this site  + they seem to make me want regular meals so don't help that way eithier!    
  • Posted

Ramipril was very, very bad for my PAfib. Bisoprolol is much better.

Do you take statins?

• Posted

No statins, stopped the atenlol about a month ago and I'm just on 2.5 rampril. I've just been reading  on the web that rampril can cause backache! Maybe I've found the culprit. 

Prior to the atenlol I was on bisop but had bad side effects so my GP changed my meds to atenolol. Same prob though...bad side effects. 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I was diagnosed with PAF a year ago and put on Bisoporol and eventually warfarin, I also experience backache since I started the meds, but am as skinny as a rake so although I agree with the others that weight is a factor, it isn;t in my case.

Linda.

• Posted

I have lower back issues due to spondalosis, but it had got much worse when taking apixaban & sinvaststin,

since i have stopped theses 2 drugs i dont get very little back ache or pain, i also feel much fitter & not as tired as before when on the drugs mentioned above.

• Posted

I take 2.5 mg rampril and rivaroxiban. I have awful backache when I stand. I have to keep sitting down! I'm not in so much discomfort when I walk. The backache and shaky feeling in my legs only started when I was put on bisoprolol and rampril.im off the beta blocker now . 

I've read an article...think it was daily telegraph...that attributes lots of side effects..including backache with meds! 

Neither my GP or the cardio, thought it was due to meds! Very dismissive. Keep taking the tablets!

I would like to know if A/F causes the backache. Fed up trying to find the answer! 

Thanks for your post.

• Posted

No I dont think AF causes back ache / Pain, i am almost certain it will be the side effects of the Meds', it was in my case, & of course you being over weight does not help

Riveroxiban is the same as Apixaban

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.