Has anyone had a barium meal done?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm due to have this done tomorrow but I'm worried that the stuff you drink will really affect my tummy especially as it's late morning and I understand you shouldn't eat for 6 hours before? Thanks

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi raffa I've had one before, it didn't bother me at all or upset my stomach. Doesn't taste very nice but that's it. Good luck x

• Posted

Ah thanks. Sadly the endoscopy didn't go so well as I tried to rip the tube out and they had to give up!!! Hopefully this will show enough. X

• Posted

I've had at least five of them. The drink you slowly sip and swallow is no problem. Last time I was offered a choice of flavours. Only problem is that it is a problem to flush away after you go to poo as it is like a lump of clay.

• Posted

Also watch it on the screen, express interest and talk to the doctor doing it, ask questions and you will not need to wait for his report to your doctor.

I had a hip X-Ray recently and asked how it looked and commented that I had one three years ago. He said to come into his booth and showed me the new one and the two previous ones and although not a consultant gave me his opinion off them.

• Posted

Thanks for replying, that's definitely worth knowing but I will watch out for the loo rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Raffa don't worry about it I've had this done three times and it never upset my stomach you will be fine

• Posted

Thank you very much. Just had enough of tests now so hope they have some answers for me soon. The anxiety is almost worse than the reflux cry
    • Posted

Yes it's better then it was to start not do much reflux but still get heartburn if I don't watch what I'm eating have it done because they can see what's going on and it's not anyting near as bad as having a camera put fine your throat it's barbaric in my opinion how you have to be awake to have this done

• Posted

Some people can 'stomach' a camera down their throat but I have a very sensitive throat and can gag when just cleaning my teeth. The tube is much smaller now than the one and only time I agreed to have it done in 1983. My wife has had three and it does not bother her at all.

My symptoms had been much improved recently but after a cardiac procedure in April I had to take Plavix for a month and aspirin for six months.

It said that PPI's could lessen the effect of Plavix so I stopped the PPI and found I was OK but with my ulcer history I was supposed to take the PPI to protect my stomach but I thought I was OK as they were the enteric coated ones that bypass the stomach to the intestine. 

After I finished the ones the hospital prescribed I started to use an old packet I had at home. After a week I realised that they were the soluble type and that I should have dissolved in water. When I started to do that my stomach was suddenly on fire and my acid reflux was back.

I went back to the coated aspirin and the PPI but after nearly three weeks my stomach is little better and I have terrible indigestion.

• Posted

Well i managed it. Drank the whole lot of different liquids and had a barium swallow and meal. Not the greatest experience of my life obviously but it's done now and hopefully I will get some answers. I did as you said Derek and asked the questions and watched the screen. Really interesting. It seems I have a hernia and reflux and he said other than that, ok but I guess the doctor will fill me in with all the results on Monday. Don't think there is an easy fix to this but perhaps they can help with different meds. What do you all take and did you have to make lifestyle changes?

• Posted

Glad you managed it darl. I'm on lanzparazol 30mg a day, 60mg when it's bad. No side effects and works pretty well. Also take peptic medicine in between if need be xx

• Posted

Do you have a hernia Karen? Do you monitor your diet? I'm on Omeprazol 20mg twice a day at the minute but I've been taking them for years so may not be helping now. I wonder if people muddle along for a while and then get these 'flare ups' from time to time? It's good for weight loss though I suppose but not nice at all rolleyes x

• Posted

No they say I haven't a hernia but I think I may have one. I've suffered with reflux now 17 years but this past year as been worse, that's why I think there's a hernia there. Yes I have to watch what I eat, and I only eat little and often. I get back flare ups we're it can last weeks and I don't eat, then the weight comes off. Not good for me as I'm only 5ft 1 and weigh 9 stone 3 as it is x

• Posted

I'm glad that you found it interesting. If having something done I always look for a Youtube video of the procedure to know what will happen. I've watche the laser prostate operation I had and a heart valve replacement. The one I do not like the look of is a hip replaenent that has been suggested.

I've tried all the PPI's. Some work for a while and then I switch to another.I was initially given Tagamet and that gave me kidney problems that cleared up on stopping it.

I was told that I had a slight hiatus hrernia in 1983. In later X-Rays it was bigger and then smaller again. It seems that this can happen. I had a really good doctor do the last one in January and he had one as well. We compared notes and we both agreed that we would never have an endoscopy.

Strange I had a back X-Ray about two months later and they commented that specs of bariun were still showing on it.

• Posted

It does sound like a bit of trial and error doesn't it and finding what treatment works for you. A hip replacement is a big operation I understand but I have to say that everyone I know that has had one, hasn't looked back and recovery has been good. I like to know what to expect but at times I think innocenence is bliss as they say. I might not even get to the appointments if I knew everything. They don't usually operate on hernias appartently as very risky operation.

• Posted

It used to be a big operation back when an uncle had it. If you Google you can find newer alternatives. The problem according to one surgeon I spoke is with most of them you cannot belch or be sick after them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.