Has anyone had a "button" put under their kneecap during or after a TKR?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I saw my surgeon yesterday for my almost one year check up. He says my kneecap is not sitting correctly and causing rubbing and pain in my knee. He wants to see me again in 6 months and if it's still not right or is any worse, wants to put a "plastic button-like device" under my kneecap to prevent it rubbing and causing pain. Has anyone else had this done? I'm in Australia...he says they often do this in U.S.A. as part of the original surgery. He also told me that this added surgery can not be guaranteed to correct the problem or stop the pain!! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have a button under my kneecap, I do not have any problem with my knee at all.
    • Posted

Hi Gabrielle. So did they  put the button in as part of your  original surgery?
  • Posted

I live in U.K and apparently suffer with similar problem because the last doctor I saw in August seemed to think because my kneecap was not sitting correctly I would need to have it removed and a prosthetic one fitted. He commented this happened in 2% of TKR's.

I had my TKR in Feb 2016 and am awaiting my final appointment with the surgeon which will be next week. I will mention this button idea with him because I really would like to keep my kneecap- no more prosthetics for me!! Will keep you posted.

Mary

• Posted

Hi Mary. Yes I understand what you mean!! Apparently, my kneecap has not been affected by my arthritis....that's why they left it there. But this "patella button" is common practise in the U.S as I said earlier...according to my surgeon. I can imagine nothing worse than having them open my knee scar up again just to put this little thing in there!! My thoughts at this time are...if it causes me no more pain and also is causing no damage to anything in there, I'll live with it the way it is. I'll be interested to hear what your surgeon says about your situation. Good luck with it.    Shan

• Posted

Hi my name is Deb I had a knee replacement on my left knee and then a revision on the same knee Ihad a right knee replacement as well I have a button on my right knee  , I never had any problems I went back to the same surgeon and told me I knee a button on my left knee I have a lot of pain in my knee but I wii go back for the third time on my knee it make it pain free
    • Posted

I keep hearing about this 'button'

Can you tell me what it involves and why you needed it.

I have pain but I also can't walk very well.

I had a TKR on the 13th Feb 2016

A nightmare year!

I'm seeing the surgeon next week plus an x-ray

I feel he will just move the goalposts again and say it can take 18months etc

I wouldn't mind if I was making progress but I seem to go back it forward in my recovery

X

• Posted

Oh Deb!! More surgery for you?? Sorry to hear that. Good luck with it all. Shan
    • Posted

My name is Dee. I need the button in my left knee also. right knee is fine with the button. did you have the surgery to insert the button? If so Did it work and how was the surgery. hope you are well. thanks!

• Posted

I had this done on the 15th January this year 2018 and so far there’s been a noticeable difference in my walking.

However, pain is still waking me up but it could be wound pain as he had to open up the knee again but exactly on the same line as before. Had TKR in Feb 2016.

I spent nearly two years in agony and unable to walk 

Some days I want my old knee back. Nothing was as bad as all this. It’s affected the whole of my body.

However, he did say success was 50/50 so I will keep you posted 

• Posted

Hi, I had my left TKR in August 2016 and the following March my right knee which has not caused me any problems gave up on me. I underwent a right TKR in June 2016 and my kneecap was so badly damaged and had a deep channel gouged out of it it couldn’t be fully resurfaced as that would have made it too thin and would have shattered. My surgeon resurfaced as much as he could and then inserted the patella button at the same time as the TKR. I’ve had no problems or issues, recovery from both knees has been very similar. I was told kneeling would be more painful on that side but it hasn’t been. Both operations were on the NHS in the UK and done as day cases at my request. I can’t speak highly enough of my surgeon and as already said, the button has been fine. Good luck for the future.
    • Posted

Sorry, meant to say my 2nd op was June 2017!

• Posted

hi,

please see previous post from me, I had a patella button inserted as part of my second total knee replacement as my patella was so badly worn it was at risk of splitting in half. The button helps to strengthen it and Ive never looked back. No noticeable difference from my other knee replacement and it was done on the NHS in the UK, both my knee replacements were done as day cases at my request with a fantastic surgeon that I couldn't recommend highly enough.

• Edited

Yes. I'm in the hospital as I respond. I had two done last year . I had previous repairs prior too. So the scar tissue attached it self to the prosthetic knee which caused great pain as well . My doctor recommended to clean out the scar tissue , shave the patella and add the button . Ill let you know how it goes . I just had this surgery yesterday at noon ♥

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.