Has anyone had a concave hole in the skull where MVD surgery was performed? Is this normal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had MVD surgery for TN five months ago and the hole where they did the surgery is becoming more and more concaved, like a valley in my skull, and it is sensitive when I touch in their and it seems to be getting deeper.  Is this normal?  Thank you for any response, please.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

I had MVD surgery April 2016 and i can't tell you if what you are experiencing is normal or not but i felt exactly the same thing and it has not caused any problems so i would guess it's nothing to worry about, just a bit weird.

Mine felt a little tender if i pushed up against it for maybe 4- 5 months post surgery and i also heard a clicking sound when i lightly  pushed on it (now gone).  The indent / concave feeling is quite pronounced when i feel it now (1.5 years) post surgery but no tenderness or clicking sound anymore.I can feel a hollow sound when i tap on it ( kinda like the cone of a speaker.  My guess would be that the metal wire mesh that they use to secure the cut portion of the skull bone back in place takes a while to adjust to some peoples bodies. From what i was told and understand, the material will not impact the body in a harmful way. It's made to be safely used for exactly that purpose.

• Posted

Hi Patricia and Saaz

Just seen this and I bet you’ll get very many responses over the next few days. The question has been highlighted many times in the UK TNA site also. 

Yes this is quite common. I had a titanium plate put over my skull hole and it was only a month or so before I noticed it becoming a depressed/concave area. I got onto my consultant’s team and they confirmed that it was quite normal. I understand that it’s  to do with the overlying musculature not being attached very strongly once the wound heals. 

Don’t have any pain or tenderness. Haven’t had any cosmetic problems with this because I have a full head of hair. I am wondering if I’ll be able to pick up taxi radios directly via my head plate. .........  ;-)

Cheers

Big D 

• Posted

Thank you for answers. smile Good one, army183! I don't know what type of material is in that hole in my skull but it hurts when I turn my head, brush my teeth. It seems like the muscles of my neck pull it open? I'm not sure. Does anyone have that sensation? Thank you for answers and comments.

• Posted

Aha - might be that the surface muscles rubbing on the rough edges around the wound or the titanium plate. I think this is a common problem with people who have the bone disk replaced instead of a metal plate. If you can imagine sheaths of muscle fibres sliding around at the side of your head (like they do on the other side) when you move your head, it might be that they’re rubbing a bit on a surface that is not so smooth as before? 

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Very normal. I have an indent in the back of my skull over a year post-op that is permanent and that only I can feel. You can't notice it. I'd not worry about it at all.

• Posted

No Worries it is perfectly normal but I would not be putting any pressure on it . I call my indention "MY Divit ". Quit worrying and get out and live your life!  Good Luck and God Bless!

Mallory

• Posted

I had MVD but no depression in the skull. My head hurts from the screws and cutting into my neck muscles.  
  • Posted

hey, unsure if anyone is still replying to this thread, will give it a try.. I had MVD surgery 5 weeks ago which was a success and am recovering well. Today i started to hear a subtle clicking around the scar area. just short bursts of 10 clicks every 10mins for a few hours this afternoon. Is that normal? Thanks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.