Has anyone had a good ankle replacement

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my ankle replaced in Jan worst decision oh my life and I have been around for 55 years anyone have anything good to say about ankle replacement

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes I had one in April and have had no problems what's so ever.  Have some swelling but nothing I can't handle, never once had any pain from the time I had the surgery till now.  I feel very good about it. 

• Posted

That is excellent Kathy and I hope all keeps going great for u
    • Posted

Well to start my tibulia broke after that I was still in pain so when I went to doc found out that the plate on top of the ankle had shifted 5 degrees causing constant pain
    • Posted

Well it's a pretty long story and sounds like I am feeling sorry for myself lol

• Posted

So are you back to normal ( as normal ) as u were before
    • Posted

I feel I am probably 85% maybe 90, I have went shopping which before if I did I paid dearly for it after, I am wearing regular shoes and my swelling is getting better each day.  I am going to start walking for excerise tonight and see how that goes trying to increase every other day.  Don't get me wrong I have my times.  When it rains or weather gets cooler like it is now I can tell a difference.  My biggest thing is cramping in my calf area at night and I've got to think it is from the stretch they did on my well can't think of it right now lol!  My doctor didn't have me do any type of therapy at all which was kind of crazy.  When I broke my ankle 11 years ago in 2 places I had all kinds of therapy.  I wish I knew of what might help it along but so far haven't found anyone to tell me.  I feel I had a really good doctor, he has done tons of these ankle replacements and I never once till I got on this site after the surgery did I feel I shouldn't have done it.  My biggest concern now is hoping it lasts longer than 10 years...I am 64 and I sure don't want to have to do it again when I am in my middle 70's.

Be postive I know it is hard I am very active and my down time was hard on me I am even living in a apt. that has 16 steps that I had to go up and down (we are working on our home) but by the time I was able to get out of the boot I was going up and down with my walker...

Sorry this is so long keep posting and I will watch for you and your recovery.             

• Posted

Well Kathy I am very active also I can't sit around that's what drove me crazy in the beginning. I still go out and play with my dogs and walk some with my grandson. But I pay very dearly after that and that is why I have to go through the next surgery I am told I need. I am 55 years old and I am hoping it last more then 10 years to because I would never do it again. It has been pretty bad I lost my job so that means I lost my insurance also this is the first time since I was 13 that I haven't worked

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.