Has anyone had a good experience on these? Has it helped?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, im new to this group and have a few questions about starting these meds.

At present im on amitriptyline 35mg but they are nlt working.

This week out of the blue i had a really bad panic attack that lasted most of the day, i actually thought i was dying amd told myself this is it, this is how it ends 😢 after paramedics and Drs convinced me i wasnt actually dying i calmed.

Now my Dr is weaning me off current meds ready to start me on 15mg Mirtazapine.

Im scared, not just a little bit im like really scared, what if i have a bad reaction, what if i dont wake up, what if they sedate me that much i can't function, what if i cant look after my children.

My husband and children have been through so much with me already and i feel such a burden on them so i know i have to do this.

Im starting to doubt myself and not wanting to start them.

Any advicewould be great, positive though as im really not in a great place today.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, I've been taking Mirtazapine since November last year so around 8 months now. Doc gave me 15mg and for the first week I cut the tablet in half as I was worried about the side effects. I had no issues at all. Just a bit of tiredness but not so bad that it was effecting me doing things. I then went to 15mg and although the doc has given me 30mg I still only take 15mg. I started to feel better within a couple of weeks. I used to wake in the middle of the night having anxiety attacks at least a couple of times a week but I no longer get those. I still have odd days where anxiety is an issue but it's no longer controlling my life. I know lots of people try to talk people out of starting Mirt because it can be difficult to get off again but for now I'm not even thinking about that! I'm just enjoying life! One thing I will say is that it does increase the appetite and I've put on over a stone in weight. But this isn't an issue for me because I was underweight because I always had anxiety nausea and didn't eat much. I'm loving being able to enjoy food again. Whatever you decide to do I'm sure your family will be there to support you.

• Posted

hi carlotte.  amitriptyline to mirtazapine for support if your following the mirt forum alot will try to put you off it but don't worry if the amiriptyline on 35 mg and has you said had a panic attack on it at that dose then mirt is a good medication to go to on 15mg but with mirt when your feeling better in yourself keep your eye on your weight it will make you eat more or put on weight but the switch over to mirt should be ok it will make you sleep longer .  i hope the info is of some importance and hope you feel better soon .

• Posted

Hi Charlotte.Just wanted to throw some support your way.I won't go into all the details of my journey with my different meds and IBS/anxiety/depression problems, but I was started on Mirt about 7 months ago at 15mg pm upped to 30mg(15am,15pm about 5 months ago.I've been put on Gabapetin and Tramadol as well,while being weaned off of Paxil and Ibprofin.It's been a roller coaster ride but I will say the Mirt has helped at night to relax me and help me sleep.I do only get about 4 solid hours of sleep and then choppy but I have a few other issues mixed in,so I wouldn't blame it on the Mirt.You will feel foggy at first but as your body adjusts,it will subside.It may take a couple weeks,but everyone's different.Good luck and I will pray for you and your family.May God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Thank you bob, i chickened out in the end and decided to have a non seditive pill.

Sleep big issue but good old Anxiety made me anxious about starting new seditive pills!

Hope you are now on the mend!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.