Has anyone had a HEMICOLECTOMY - bowel removal??

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi.  I had a Right Hemicolectomy, removal of half of my large bowel in December.  I am looking for others who have had this procedue who can advise me how it has affected your lives after the recovery.  Are their any lasting issues?  Do you have any troubles, or precautionary tales you can share?  Or are you back to normal, as you were before the op?

I have had a lot of trouble post op with constipation and an anal fissure as a result, but hopefully I am nearly over both problems, andjust wonder what to expect in the future.

I would be grateful to hear your expreiences.  Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

G,Day i had half by bowel back in 1972 had trouble ever since had the runs all the time it left me with a Malabsorbsion syndrome i have to have B12 inj once a month and some drugs will have trouble getting into your system i had to take Questran lite to stop going to the toilet all the time and adhesions all the time had 4 opp,s from them but i neally had a bag not cool at all if i can help just let me Know  Goldwingman.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  Ugh - a bag - that is a fear of mine.  I had one for about 2 months during my recovery where I had developed a fistula and fecal matter was leaving via my surgical wound - very very upsetting, and something I pray  I never have to deal with again.  Much respect for those who have to permanently.  

Regards the malabsorption - how did you discover this was an issue - what are the symptoms?  I wondered about that from a nutritional point of view.  When you say ahdesions, what do you mean?  I have apparently, a fissure at the moment - which is so painful....but hopefully healing but what is an adhesion, and how did it affect you?  And what type of surgery was it you needed 4 times??

I am so glad to hear form someone who has been through it - thank you so much for replying - I may have thousands of questions - you may regret offering to help!!  smile smile smile  

• Posted

Adhesion is when scare tissue grow,s where they cut you inside the more they cut the more adseions you get some people getem some dont i eat just about any thing i had very bad dirriea for years i take questran lite as the bile your liver gives off burns your bowel and give you the runs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.