Has anyone had a migraine after tapering off Amitryptyline?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone, I tapered too quickly off Amit, and a few days later had a hemiplegic migraine, has anyone experienced this through tapering?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paula

I don't know if this helps but I stopped mirtazapine cold turkey and had the most horrendous migraines for days.  They were so persistent, I was beginning to think I had a brain tumour.  In my opinion amitriptyline and mirtazapine are very similar antidepressants.  Their side effects and withdrawal side effects are near identical.  But the good news is, the migraines did go away.  I battled very many withdrawal side effects and I'm still here to tell the tale.  In fact it was a year ago today that I stopped mirtazapine.  I just wanted to let you know there is hope.  It takes time but I have learnt a hard lesson.  I will not trust doctors and I will not take another antidepressant.  

• Posted

Oh Christine thank you so much for your reply you have confirmed my suspicians, thought it was too much of a coincidence. And am ecstatic for you that you are well now you are off these evil meds, because I am hoping for the same outcome. 2.5 mg of amit, am trying to get in liquid form as these withdrawals take their toll. Then its a six month taper of citalorapram. I have never been so ill, was only given them for sleep and hot flushes. I would have rather suffered with those two. You have made my day many thanks, and all the best to you.
    • Posted

Hi Paula 

I had constant headaches coming off of this drug especially when I finally stopped it. The headaches lasted a couple of weeks unfortunately. My naturopath suggested magnesium 300mg every morning and that seemed to help me a lot. I'm sorry you are suffering, hopefully it is over soon.

• Posted

Thank you Tiffany amitryptyline is hell to get off, no doubt about that. Have had to beg my doctor to give it to me in liquid form as so difficult to cut them accurately and they have just written me a prescription, could have done with the liquid when I started tapering six months ago, I too have constant headaches, today is my best day since my last taper and apart from tinnitus that fuzzy head is starting to clear and am looking forward to a few weeks of normality before my final taper.
    • Posted

Forgot to mention, I take magnesium tablets every night before bed and highly recommend them and q10.
  • Posted

I'm glad to help.  It is dreadful that you were given these drugs to help with hot flushes and sleep.  After riding out the horrendous withdrawal side effects from mirtazapine, I can honestly say I would rather deal with my issues than take these addictive ADs.

Another thing I can add is that I know mirtazapine was responsible for these headaches because I was NOT  taking any other medication whatsoever.  I'm a 58 year old woman who just takes HRT and that dealt with my hot flushes.

Best wishes Paula 

• Posted

Thank you Christine the doctor refused me HRT unfortunately. Thats another story.

Thankyou for your best wishes, and all the best to you too.

• Posted

Well I was taken off Amitriptyline for nearly 2 months. The first week was ok and I didn’t have dry mouth which was nice. But then within the last month I was crippled by a migraine everyday   I was taking Imitrex like candy and 800 mg of Motrin 2-3 times a day. The PA at my Drs office said she was concernef about the long term side effects since I had been on it since Nov of 2011. I just began taking it again and no migraines yet. Most people who do not suffer from migraines have no idea what the pain, sensitivity and nausea is like. I lay in a dark room no lights w ice packs around my head and as many drugs that I can take.  So glad I am back on it.  
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Nicole, are you back on Amitryptyline?

Your right about people who do not suffer with migraines, have no idea. I have experienced people over the years, especially at work saying they have a migraine and there they are working away, another person saying she gets them daily whilst she also is working away, they have no idea. Dont get me wrong I have suffered with some terrible headaches, and would give anything to just suffer with them. The auras I get with Hemiplegic migraines are debilitating, I also get them without the evil migraine pain, its taken me over a week and a half to recover from the worst of the neurological symptoms. Needed to write this to get it off my chest. Am pleased to hear you are much better now.

• Posted

Am getting pressure headaches now from my neck all the way to my right eye, when will all this end its one thing after another.
    • Posted

My withdrawals have ended, I am now feeling normal again, ready for my next taper.  For anyone out there reading this, I have managed to get some liquid medicine amitryptline and I will be off these evil meds next Tuesday.  The way I feel right now, its worth all the withdrawal symptoms because I know I will recover and have this good feeling to look forward too with no feeling tired or headaches anymore, cannot wait.
    • Posted

Good luck Paula!??

What dose are you on now? I hope you recover from your next set of withdrawals quickly. Keep me posted 😊

• Posted

Thank you Tiffany its really lonely all this. I am taking liquid form now, using a tiny syringe and am taking 2.5mg. Am stopping on Tuesday and have taken some days off work to get me over the crying spell and blood pressure spike. Cant wait to be rid of this evil med. How are you feeling?
    • Posted

Hey Paula

I know exactly what you mean. I feel so alone in this. Not saying I don't have a support system but they don't understand how such a small pill can impact a person so much. I think I'm on the road to recovery...i was taking 10mg for approx 6 months. I tapered off the 10mg over 50 days ( dropping .2mg per night) once I finished tapering I had no good days. Then I started to have 1 or 2 good days followed by more bad days. Then I felt pretty good for nearly 2 weeks then had a rough 10 days. I just finished having a good 2.5 weeks and since Friday I have felt like garbage....im so sick of this. During a withdrawal wave I feel nauseas, dizzy, headaches, anxious ...i hate it. Hopefully it will not last for months.

I hope you have an easier time ? no one should have to suffer such a nasty pill. How has your tapering been going?

• Posted

Hi Tiffany, you doing great and sound really determind, stick with it. I am finding the exhaustion debilitating, feel like I could sleep all day, have nausea, headaches, physical anxiety symptoms, headache, fuzzy head, achey.,and constant tingling sensation, Its mad all this. Havent had the crying spells yet. One day you and I are going to be free from this, thats what I keep focusing on. So hard though. Thanks for your message.
    • Posted

In a bad wave..upset tummy, Anxiety, Crying, headaches, dizzy. I have been off them 2 months now..

Why is this still happening 😔😔 I have come off 10mg ( on for 6 months) and tapered over 45 days. Maybe something else is wrong..?? But then I had like 2 weeks where I felt great...so I dunno feeling pretty Down

• Posted

Tiffany hang in there, what you have described is typical to what I have read and am experiencing now. Have you tried magnesium tablets for anxiety? Our brain and nervous system needs to settle. I tried a walk yesterday and was so wibbly wobbly, dizzy and exhausted I had to go back home. Drink lots of water and peppermint tea helps with nausea. Am going to book myself weekly massages. I havent cried yet which is unusual, my body is anxious, mentally I am calm, have been withdrawing off meds for 8 months so withdrawal doesnt scare me anymore am past caring and am convinced I will recover.
    • Posted

Thank you Paula that means a lot. I do take magnesium daily and now see an acupuncturist which i think is helping.

I think I tapered too fast considering they recommend 10% every month and I went 10 to 0 in a month and a half. Unfortunately i was having really bad side effects on this med. They would make me feel nauseous throughout the day, foggy memory, REALLY anxious and would cause me to pass out. Like I could be standing in the kitchen and just bam...black out. Since I have been off them I have not had that issue (they did a bunch of tests to just to be safe.) But I must have been allergic or something to have such a scary side effect. So my doctor wanted me to go 10 to 0 overnight...which i was too scared to do. I tried to go 10 to 7.5mg in December but was so sick i reinstated to 10 again. So in March I had only the tablets i had left to taper off (since the doc refused to renew the prescription due to how dangerous they were for me)... so maybe the 45 day taper was just to fast and its going to take a while for my body to sort itself out. I really sucks though...im so impatient now ..like I said I figured 6mths on 10mg... they withdrawals should be over quick...nope I think I need to accept that and just be calm to let my body heal. I just feel like my life has been on hold for a year now. Plus im furious the doctor even put me on Amitripyline in the first place because they made a mistake.... its just hard somedays you know ? smile

For the nausea I drink peppermint or ginger tea (amazing for nausea) most anti nauseants will not help with withdrawal nausea according to the pharmacist. But my naturopath suggest Nux Vomica which may help you I have not tried it yet. Also some people say CBD oil helps -i have not tried that either. 

Im really glad we can chat...knowing im not alone and what i am experiencing is normal makes me feel much better.

• Posted

Some doctors have no idea about about all this am not surprised you are furious, I am very wary now. Sorry to hear aa
    • Posted

Pressed wrong button, thats so scary about your blacking out. My doctors (saw a few) mistook my med side effects for other things and increased them, so I ended up feeling worse. I was so out of it and couldnt function, when I was being tested for brain bleeds I was convinced I was going to die, infact looking back I am in no doubt that all my meds were slowly killing me. Since coming off all but 1 as doing it slowly all my scary symptoms have disappeared. Absolutely shocking, I have lost 3 years of my life, 2 jobs, my friends and my wonderful boyfriend and ended up in debt. Am rebuilding my life, have a job (just) made new friends, and am looking forward to being well. Thanks for listening, i hope you have a good day today
    • Posted

Hi Paula

Wow what a terrible roller coaster you were on. I'm so glad you are starting to recover. This drug is horrible and the docs really don't care (that's my experience) they see you for 10 minutes listen to 50% of what you say then send you on your way with a prescription 😔 then we continue to get sicker and they go home and night and do not give us a second thought. I'm hoping over time my body will heal and eventually I will be back to normal. Hopefully by the end of summer we will both be feeling much better😊 I hope today is going well for you and your withdrawals are not too horrid.?

• Posted

You have been through alot Tiffany, am pleased you are off these now. Its shocking your doctor wanted to come straight off them mind said exactly the same. I dont like the fact you were forced off them because you ran out, surely doctors must read these forums there is so much proof out there. I wish I wasnt so naive and hadnt put my faith in doctors. Had an up and down day, hope you are feeling ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.