Has Anyone had a neck lump that was a cyst?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi i have not posted anything like this before so I don't know if I'm in the right place!  Has Anyone had a swelling on the neck that turned out to just be a cyst? I saw my GP on tuesday after being advised by my asthma nurse because of a lingering cough and cold and swelling on left side of neck. He referred me for a fasting blood test and chest x ray which I had both of yesterday and has referred me for a ultrasound on my neck he said I should get that in about 1 weeks time.

When I asked what he thinks the swelling might be, he said it could be a cyst or it could be something sinister. He looked quite anxious which has in turn now made me feel anxious. Hospital said I should get my chest and blood results back mon/Tuesday and to make an appointment with my doctor to discuss them. Now I have a long weekend of trying not to worry too much.**** Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Most lumps on the neck that are round looking and palpable are usually cysts and I am sure if your Dr or the hospital had thought it was something sinister they would do a quick needle biopsy on it, did he actually say, "sinister" or did you surmise he meant that

• Posted

Hi Thank you for your reply 100% certain he said sinister, In 2017 I had a ulcer type lesion on my breast and my GP the same one was confident it wasn't sinister (he used that word then) after it not clearing up for 10 months and after several antibiotics I was seen by a oncoplastic surgeon at breast clinic and ended up having a excisional biopsy I think it was more to find out what it was not to test it for malignancy because the surgeon told me not to worry too much cause she didn't think it was suspicious. To my relief it turned out to be a completely benign collection of cells and skin keratosis. I was then refered to a dermotologist and diagnosed with a skin disease called Hidradentis superrativa . I think his use of the word sinister is whats sending my mind into overdrive. For the time being until I get facts, I'm going to put it to the back of mind as much as possible. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.