Has anyone had a notchplasty?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 34 and used to be very active. I had a knee scope 4 months ago to correct a mechanical clicking on the medial side of my knee. However, in addition to just removing scar tissue, the surgeon did a notchplasty. Since then, I've been on crutches unable to walk (even in water) as my patella isn't tracking properly. This 5th knee surgery was supposed to help me back to being fully active and I've never had a worst outcome. My quad's atrophied but any quad strengthening exercises hurt like my patella is going to dislocate. I'm in pain everyday, limping, and it created PFPS on my right knee.

I've seen 3 MDs who told me that the surgeon changed the structure of my knee and there might not be anything that can correct it... In addition to the patellar maltracking, I have crepitus and totally relate to OS symptoms.

Can anyone share their experience/thoughts?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear of all your dismay and pain.....My right knee started to creek and do all that when I was about 57 and I was very active in my life, not a runner, but a lot of exercise....and a dance queen.

I am 76 and still working to save what I have left and avoid surgery...You say 5 surgeries.....so I gather no replacement?     Again sorry for your horrible pain....I deal with mine but still walk and do what I need to do.....I'm much older and guess my knee gave me a lot more years.....I have taken joint supplements for many years too.    Joy

• Posted

Good for you for avoiding surgery for this long while still being active. Indeed, no knee replacement... What supplements did you take and did you find them efficient?
    • Posted

I take 1500 mg glucosamine daily now, took it off and on for years but now staying with it daily.

MSM powder 1 tsp thee three times daily in 8 oz clean water....taking this many years daily.

ligament/tendon supplement now going into month 3,  I hoping on this one.

I've done acupuncture over time and must say my knee got much worse since hip replacement in 2010, body got all out of alignment and causes excessive pressure on other joints...knee and foot/ankle....

I wear a knee support and use lots of topicals....I'm not a fan of surgery if it can be avoided, many don't think like me, but this is my way for me.   Joy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.