Has anyone had a stent for a urethral stricture

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am asking on behalf of my dad who is at the end of his tether with his urethral stricture which he has had operated on 10 times now over the last 8 years.He is now trying to persuade his surgeon to try a permanent stent as he doesnt fancy the skin grafting option! Has anyone been down this route?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I have been operated twice. The last one the doctor got part my pennis skin. It wasn't as painful as I thought it'd be and I still have enough skin to cover the whole penis so it doesn't look like circumcised.

I would follow your doctor options and maybe would ask another doctor's opinion, but not just to hear from them the answer your father wants (to use the stent) but to hear more valuable opnions.

As for stends I read the may work, but the are very hard to remove in case they have to, because the prothesis \"melts\" with the inner tissue. So, in case the had to remove for any reason it'd be difficult...

Hope this is helpful for you and wish the best to your father

Regards from Madrid, Spain.

• Posted

[quote:f0689be146]I am asking on behalf of my dad who is at the end of his tether with his urethral stricture which he has had operated on 10 times now over the last 8 years.He is now trying to persuade his surgeon to try a permanent stent as he doesnt fancy the skin grafting option! Has anyone been down this route?[/quote:f0689be146]

I can only sympathise. Being subjected to this endless cycle so often for so long is a terrible prospect. These have been repeat urethrotomies or dilatations, right?

Myself, I had a urethroplasty with buccal mucosa graft - using tissue transferred from the cheek lining in the mouth. At three years, this has worked very well for me so far. I feel it is a sacrifice, donating tissue from the mouth, but for me it has been well worth it. There are always risks, but I didn't suffer any real complications.

I guess you're talking about urethroplasty using penile skin graft. I can see why that isn't an appealing idea. But the highest cure rates are achieved by some form of urethroplasty. Presumably, since this is being proposed, your father is judged fit to undergo this kind of surgery.

You could ask about variations - such as using buccal mucosa or intestinal mucosa grafts. Personally, I would love it if cultured tissue were the thing. Some people have tried this, but some say it's not really ready for prime time.

Here are just a few articles you might find interesting:

[b:f0689be146]Buccal Mucosal Urethroplasty In Patients Who Had Multiple Previous Procedures[/b:f0689be146]

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/65646.php

[b:f0689be146]Small Intestinal Submucosa (SIS) Graft Urethroplasty: Short-term Results[/b:f0689be146]

http://cirugiauretra.grupoaulamedica.com/pdf/bloque1/b1_22.pdf

[b:f0689be146]Stents and Urethral Strictures: A Lesson Learned?[/b:f0689be146]

\"These results [with stents] do not seem competitive with the excellent long-term >80% success rate of urethroplasty.\"

http://www.urethralsurgery.com/det_bibliografia_eng.asp?id=88

• Posted

i have had skin taken from inside my mouth and my stricture cut out and repaired on the 2.10.09 its not that bad to have done having the stricture cut each time to open it up is worse as it just makes the stricture worse iv been told that this as a 80% sucsses rate so im hopeing this will be it for me as iv been sufring from this for some years now im now 48
  • Posted

[quote:e364531301]Temporary stents can be either absorbable or nonabsorbable, and they suffer from all of the disadvantages of a foreign body in the urinary system in terms of encrustation, migration, and acting as a nidus for infection.

[b:e364531301]Permanent stents[/b:e364531301] were introduced a number of years ago. Unfortunately, they [b:e364531301]have not stayed the test of time[/b:e364531301] because they have been clearly shown to be associated with complications, particularly if they are inserted to manage a failed urethroplasty. Permanently implanted stents should only be considered in patients seeking a solution other than a permanent catheter who either are unfit for or refuse a bulbar urethroplasty and cannot use intermittent self-dilatation.

[size=9:e364531301]Anterior Urethral Surgery: Current Concepts and Future Directions

Christopher Chapple

Sheffield Teaching Hospitals, Glossop Road, Sheffield S10 2 JF, UK[/size:e364531301]

http://www.europeanurology.com/article/S0302-2838(10)00135-1

http://www.europeanurology.com/article/S0302-2838(10)00135-1/pdf[/quote:e364531301]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.