Has anyone had an accident with their foot while healing?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I had bunion / bunionette surgery on my left foot on the 18th of march, so almost 4 weeks ago now. 

My first two weeks were very painful, and I barely got any sleep because of the pain (plus the Codeine i got for the pain gave me horrible vivid dreams when I actually fell asleep) but I never had any falls and I literally just stayed in bed and just hopped to the toilet on my crutches when needed.

I had my check up 2 weeks past op, where they took my dressing off and everything was healing fine, and it was the first day i actually felt no pain (except for when touching the foot) , and I was so happy the worst was over. And the foot didn't look as bruised and swollen as i expected! So I got the walking boot to start slowly walking with (along with crutches)  and i felt like I was ready to start doing my toe exercises etc. 

However, likte two days after that, when I was hopping from the bed to get something on one leg, and I lost my balance and instead of falling down I saved myself with my bad foot. As a reflex.. I kind of felt like something cracked, but it didn't hurt too bad just felt really weird. 

The day after, my foot started to swell a lot, and turned almost purple on the inner side of my foot. The swelling didn't go down the day after and since I know the bones are very fragile (especially the one by the little toe) I went in to the hospital to get an Xray and check nothing was broken, which it luckily wasn't. However, It's now been 1,5 weeks since this happened and I've spent most days keeping my foot elevated and had ice on it, and still the swelling just isn't going down. 

I'm supposed to have starte walking in my boot a bit by now, and I'm supposed to to toe exercise 4 x day , but have been unable to do any of this because the big toe is just too swollen to even move..  I'm worried this is delaying my healing a lot, and not sure if it will affect my ability to move my toe in the future, if I don't start doing it soon. could this be the case ? Has anyone else had a similat situation during healing? 

its just frustrating when i really felt like the healing was going so well, and now I feel like I've gone backwards.. 

I've got my next appointment in 2,5 weeks when they were planning on taking my boot and crutches. But at the moment i really can't see myself walking without it in that time..

Also I can't barely feel anything on the tip of my big toe. I could probably put a needle in it and i wouldn't feel a thing. I know my nerves were affected, but is this common?

sorry, Alot of questions smile

Would be helpful to hear if anyone has been in a similar situation..

thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi anio, 

I had a Left Foot Scarf osteotomy and lateral release exttensot tenotomy, on the 20th of Febuary, Like you after week two and removal of dressing I was showering, week three, I was in the bedroom after showering putting on my jeans amd fell on my foot, using my toes to save me, I felt a very painful electric shock like pain and was unable to walk on it, even using my heel shoe for the rest of the day. The next day decided to go back to the hospital and have it checked.. Was told it was ok, only minimal damage. Several times over the next few days a felt that electric shock feeling when I was out shopping with my husband for food. When I went for my six week check however the Consultant showed me the X Ray and my six week X-ray was different from the one I had when I went to get it checked.. I had in fact broken my toe, and may have to have another operation, I have been told to come back in 5 months to see him when everything is healed... I am gutted, but must also add that a tendon was cut on my second toe and my second toe flops down and also may need fusing. 

If you are really concerned you could ring the hospital again, I just wanted to let you know you are not alone and it does happen, 😉 My big toe is also numb like yours but I believe that is common, I was told, that it may or may not come back. 

• Posted

Hi! 

Oh no sorry to hear it's broken! so they did an Xray when you went and got it checked, but it wasn't broken then? That's worrying.. they compared my Xrays from week 2 with the new ones when I came in to check, and they said nothing was changed that it probaby just was an inflammation and it should pass in a few days.. but it hasn't . 

Fingers crossed yours heal well and that you won't have to do surgery again :S 

• Posted

I forgot to add, my foot is still very swollen, week seven, and still a bit painful but understand that is very normal.. I thought it might have gone down a bit now, even flip flops are very tight on me, it's always worse in the evening, I also have swelling in my ankles and it did actually go into my leg yesterday.. However this morning the leg was a lot better.. 
    • Posted

Great that your leg swelling is better sue. At least it wasn't anything more sinister!
  • Posted

Hi. I believe numbness in the toe is common. I have it on the outer side of my big toe just from the end of the scar to the tip of the toe and I was told that it MAY go! I am at the ten-week point tomorrow and I THINK the numbness is slowly going. Apparently, it is very common and nerves repair themselves very slowly! Also, I think there is so much swelling in the big toe after this type of op that the whole toe feels strange just due to that.
  • Posted

Hi I havent had a serious injury but do jave kids and they bump my foot and it does swell or while cleaning things have fallen on my foot I find it to pick my foot up ice it and abt 1/2 hour later soak it in warm water and soakin salt to be quit helpful just a thought good luck and hope your foot fels much better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.