Has anyone had an infection at an incision point after Bunion surgery?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I'm now 5 weeks post surgery on both feet, the operation went well and although a little painful to walk if I place my feet flat to the ground I am doing ok and would recommend getting them both done at once, but I have an infection on the top arch area of my left foot at the incision point and am currently applying a topical antibiotic 'fucidin' has anyone else experienced an infection? Were you prescribed tablets or cream?

It's set me back a bit and of course makes everything touching it difficult.

Thanks

Hoping for a happier foot soon

S

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Poor you sad- hope it gets better soon. I can't help as my scars healed nicely and all seems fine at 7 weeks post op apart from having to learn how to walk again. Occasionally the scars are a bit tender but that's usually if I've overdone things.The walking has set all sorts of muscle and tendon aches off but I don't suppose it's surprising after 6 weeks sitting with your feet up most of the time!
  • Posted

Have you been to the doctor for that infection Suzzy?  If not, I would suggest that you start there.  S
    • Posted

I second that advice from Jenny.  Bob had and infection and was prescribed both antibiotics and ointment.  His looked nasty and painful.  He posted pics of it on the Facebook group "I Survived a Bunionectomy!"   Take care !

• Posted

Wasn't done with my posting and I must of hit something that I shouldn't have..lol   Anyway, as I was saying, you should definitely see the doc if you haven't already and let him/her decide whether cream or pills will be the best for you.  It's enough to have to have these bunions hacked off much less an infection.  Hope it gets better really fast for you.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone I have both antibiotics and an antibiotic topical cream which is clearing the infection up thank goodness
  • Posted

Hi 

HOPE your getting on ok!! 

if not dont worry i have been in the same boat ! i have had 3 infections and undertaken 2 washouts this is my 4th washout of the food and i will be going into hosiptal tomorrow for 2 weeks for antibiotics in a drip. 

let me know what happend to you 

• Posted

Yes, I have the same problem.  I have been prescribed several courses of antibiotics; oral and intramuscular, but it hasn't been solved yet

Please let me know the doctors solved your problem, my infection lasted 4 months and it hasn't been resolved

• Posted

Hi. I had my original surgery back in july ( had to be reoperted on due to non union 10 days ago)

When the nurse took the dressing off 4 weeks post surgery, she commented that the area felt warm but this may be due to the warm weather and having a thick dressing on it. The following week however, the area became very red and tender to touch. We were on holiday so i saw an emergency gp who gave me oral antibiotics which cured the tenderness.

In October i had a follow up consultant appointment and he also commented about the heat in the operation area and sent me for blood tests. Luckily these showed no infection so no further action was needed at that point.I suggest that if you are worried speak to your consultant ( you can leave a message with his secretary at the hospital if you are in UK).

Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.