Has anyone had any experiences with bowel resection surgery?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I feel a little uncomfortable talking about poop, but you have been warned! I am hoping to get some insight from others who may have had similar experiences/issues.

I am a 32 year old woman. Around 10 years ago I was having some issues and my family practice doc referred me to a colon and rectal surgeon, who said my issue was internal hemorrhoids and performed a colonoscopy. Afterwards she said that I had a mucosal prolapse and that she had fixed it. Things were better, but 5 years later I started having the same symptoms, which included going to the bathroom many times a day. Its also worth noting that I have never really had any issues with constipation, but I could never get everything out.

I didn’t have insurance so I waited a few years, but eventually I saw a new rectal surgeon. He ordered a defecating portogram (0 out of 10, awful) which showed that I had an internal prolapse and redundant colon. A month later he did a laparoscopic surgery where he pinned up my redundant colon with mesh. A month post-op there was zero improvement, so without further testing he scheduled me for a more invasive bowel resection, and they removed about a foot of my small bowel.

My bowel resection surgery was in 12/2017. Not only have I experienced no improvement, I am much, much worse. Prior to the surgeries I could go to the bathroom, but I just couldn’t get everything out all at once. Not only can I still not get everything out, I really cant get ANYTHING out without using my hands to squeeze the area. What comes out is not hard, but its much thinner then it used to be, and eating more then a very small amount at once is very uncomfortable. I can’t spend all day in the bathroom at work and I dislike being miserable so I manage this by only eating normally on the weekends. During the week I eat very little, and only once a day. Prior to my surgeries I was 5’6 120lbs, and I am now 100lbs.

I have an appointment with my surgeon next week and I am terrified that they will want to give me a colostomy bag. I can’t find any information about these surgeries just not working. My surgeon was surprised after the first surgery failed and had never seen that happen before. He didn’t seem concerned after I reported no improvement after the second surgery at my 2 week post op appointment and was sure it was just too soon.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I will do anything to avoid a colostomy bag, but I really cant afford to loose anymore weight.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, yes lots of parallels with you here and I may be able to offer some advice.

First a brief background, I've had haemorrhoids (banded) and also a fully prolapsed bowel. No exaggeration, six years after my ventral mesh surgery i was no better, same as you I couldn't get everything out and kept feeling i needed to go, dribs and drabs and hard to pass motions properly even with diarrhoea and in my case i was refused further surgical intervention. Not sure why.

However a mini irrigation system, or qufora kit has been my salvation. Basically its a pump, tube and cone and you self assemble it, its easy peasy to do, fill the tube with lukewarm water and insert the end of the cone. The very small amount if water circulated the lower bowel or rectum and out it all comes. It sounds hairy but believe me its saved me endless and indeed dangerous constant straining. Doubly tough when you also have chronic sciatica.

If you want to give it a try, they are available from The bladder and bowel community, they are quite harmless as there is very little water used and they are small and compact. If you also feel you need instruction to assemble and use, The Qufora people themselves will arrange a consultation with a trained nurse.

Personally I use mine nearly every time but its flexible how frequently you wish to. I can recommend them truly and also felt the irrigation system helped regulate my bowels as well. Please feel free to message me if anything you wish to ask me. Best wishes, Fiona.

• Posted

My heart goes out to you lost for words.

May I ask the name of the surgeon?

You can private message me.

Ventral Rectopexy the surgery you had there is much controversy with these  surgeries amongst the colorectal  field.  Every  surgeon with his own technique and little coming together with outcome reporting.

I believe some surgeons  not wanting to perform  so frequently due to  limited success.

Private message me

Sandra

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.