Has anyone had ANY success on Citalopram?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hiya

i was just curious if anyone has any success on Citalopram, i have been diagnosed with a panic disorder/Health anxiety, constantly dizzy/headache/eye pains so shaky in the morning, Dr prescribed 10mg Citalopram to start with Diazepam, although the 'major panic attacks' have subsisded i'm still left with these physical symptoms and terrified to take the Citalopram cos i've read a lot of horror stories about this SSRI!

Any succes stories would be greatly appreciated before i start taking this!

Thank you 😃

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

quick answer - yes. The thing to understand with SSRI's is they are not an 'instant fix', they take a while to settle in and start making a difference. It takes patience, which unfortunately with those of us with anxiety issues, isnt our strong point. I found it was at least three months. I was sad I had to stop taking them as I had an allergic reaction and my hair fell out but they definitely improved my anxiety and inability to cope. Really important to realise they dont take away the problems, they just help us to deal with them in an appropriate way and with a reasonable reaction - they do that but it takes time!

• Posted

Just watch your hair, I've had to stop it after 8 weeks as my hair all falling out as I think others have found. It does seem to help lot people but I can't afford to go bald. It is listed as a rarer side effect so hopefully you won't get it! I was on 10mg didn't have any major side effects apart from the hair.

• Posted

unlike the others on this chat my hair did not fall out.celexa save my life .and i had physical severe symptoms of health anxiety.so yes it takes lots of time for them to settle .and you should be lucky your doctor gave you diazapam .the diazapam is to relieve the side effects of the celexa .best regards.

• Posted

Yes, but it takes time, sometimes weeks or months to adjust and it can be a rocky ride, but you WILL get better. x

• Posted

thank you guys for the replies! im just so worried as im suffering vertigo like sypmtoms and headaches as it is im so scared of it getting worse! its comforting to know that it does get easier! thanks again 😃

• Posted

i got vertigo and dizziness before citalopram and now its much better, but can be a side effect of the medication. But it can be inner ear crystals causing it too. they are harmless but you have do do special head movement to get rid of them. you tube shows you how to combat vertigo x

• Posted

i also had vertigo and dizziness before any antid.and celexa relief me from lots of health anxiety issues.

• Posted

how long did it take for it to work for you guys? i have really bad GAD and health anxiety too and have been on it for 4 weeks - 11 days on 20 and only feel small improvement. this is my second time and it worked well and faster the first time. need some reassurance that it can still work - im still having to take lorazepam to sleep

• Posted

Maybe if you don'T improve go back to your doctor. Made me feel bit better first few week but after that started feeling lot worse anxiety increased but might have bad reaction as my hair falling out. Does seem lot trial and error, but after 8 weeks figured shouldn'T be feeling worse so trying different one. if you continue to gradually improve stick with it as they seem take while to kick in..

• Posted

Yes it did help. Unfortunately all my problems started in withdrawal. I have never experienced anything like it, ever. If you get to the stage where you are going to come off them , my advice is to get as much support and advice before you start.

• Posted

Hi Choccybiccy yes they do work - i took them for 4 years and they made a huge difference! i resisted taking medication for years and they made me feel normal. they do take a few weeks to work though as others have said. and dont come off them as soon as you feel better

• Posted

Hi, i'm sixteen months in on been on citalopram for a second time and its changed my life for the better. The beginning is tough with some side effects but i promise it dies get better, but please don't stress about the day you'll be back to your normal self as you just need to take it one day at a time in the beginning then it'll be weeks of feeling better then you'll have a blip then you'll be on months of feeling better with less blips. Its a slow process but you can recover from this. Everyone seems to get different side effects but if they're manageable then you've just got to hang in there as it will get easier. This is my second time on Citalopram and it took longer second time round to get better than it did the first time as i have been diagnosed with GAD so i won't be coming off it again.x

• Posted

hi gemma im on cit second time too - just over 4 weeks, 2 on 20mg. how long until you started seeing benefits? its taking much longer for me this time too with more side effects

• Posted

i think it took me around 12 weeks until i started to level out again but i had to take sleeping meds at bed time as i was getting terrible insomnia with the citalopram which i didnt get last time.x

• Posted

and what sleeping tabs did you use? my sleeping seemed to be getting better but has been terrible the last week

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.