Has anyone had epididymectomy surgery?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Have heard that some people get relief while others it can make things worse.

Any first hand recommendations?

I have had recurrent epididymitis for 2 years now and is impacting quality of like (unable to sit, can only drive short distance, missing a lot of time from work, unable to do physical activity due to pain and discomfort. Have been on a handful of antibiotics that did not work. Dr is recommending surgery.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have a similar problem. Initially an antibiotic called Cephalexin (Keflex) helped me a lot as it is designed for epididimytis. But after a year it did not help. Now I am trying what is called a spermatic cord block. First i tried Lydocaine and it helped for a day just as a test. Now I am trying Botox injected into the spermatic cord. It is a simple procedure - just like getting a needle. It has helped me for a few months. Also cortisone injections into the spermatic cord can help with the nerve pain.

Removing the epididymis is very tricky and painful. There is another surgery called Microsurgical Denervation that you might try. It basically cuts the nerves causing pain.

I also take Percosec for the nerve pain and it works really well with few side effects. Good luck.

• Posted

Have you or anyone here had success with a pelvic floor PT and/or Pain management facility? Just wonder if it would help

• Posted

Anyone?

Will be having surgery this fall in addition to a denervation procedure.

• Posted

Hi have you already done with the surgery?

how is the result?

I'm also having epididymitis pain for several months, think to get this surgery also...

• Posted

Donn79 - Still have not had surgery yet. It has been delayed for several reasons.

First dr wanted me to do 3 months of pelvic pain therapy and 3 months of pain management, both of which did not help.

Second, due to hospital mergers and staffing changing, my follow up appointment keeps getting pushed back. I may also have a denervation procedure done too, in addition to having varioceles embolized.

Coming on 2 year anniversary!

• Posted

Hi gg78506, Did you have surgery, can you give us an update?

• Posted

Am scheduled for epididymectomy the end of March. Person I am working with is not a fan of the micro denervation as it does not resolve the issue, just masks it. He insists his success rate is very high and will not have any long term issues.

Personally think my pain is vascular in nature as I am also having similar pain and swelling in my lower leg and ankle. But will be referred to radiologist to have varioceles taken care of.

Does one issue cause the other?

Although am feeling a lot better compared to 12-14 months ago, and having second thoughts on surgery. I can now sit for a few hours on soft surface without a cushion and can walk a couple miles. Huge difference from not being able to get out bed and putting clothes on and on a good day maybe walk 1/4 mile, but resulted in several hours of icing and bed rest.

Damn testicles!

• Posted

Hey mate, You sound like me, seems we have identical symptoms. My pain starts in my right testicle and will go down my right leg and into my foot, the pain gets unbearable. I cant sit down for too long, cant even stand for too long either, cant walk far, cant even wear clothes, I cant work, its ridiculous. My scans have shown two epididymal cysts 2mm in size and varicolecels 3mm in size, so I'm having a varicocelectomy in May/June, veins cut and tied off, I hope this works. If it fails then removal of the cysts or the epdidymis will be next on the cards I hope, doc says we will go down the list of procedures. My symptoms seem classic of varicoceles, but the pain I feel is at the head of the epididymis, seems more likely the cysts, unless its the varicoceles causing a drainage problem, I cant wait to have my procedure, its been a long time coming. Let us know how you get on with your opt on March 27th, best of luck and fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hi mate, Has your surgery been cancelled?

• Edited

just had bilateral epididymectomy on 10-20-2020. and have been in terrible pain since meaning very sore and swollen. I hope pain resolves win a few more days so cant say if it has helped or not. Will keep you posted

• Posted

How are you feeling now. i have this surgery in 2 weeks. getting nervous now. thanks.

• Posted

I haven't but I'm on a waiting list for epididymal cist surgery. Is it the same kind of surgery?

• Posted

Do not take surgery yet, perhaps you could take antibiotics of a longer time. Surgery should be a last resort. There are ways you can solve this issue. Have faith in antibiotics, and work on taking them. Mental health medication took 8 months to work for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.