Has anyone had Epiretinal membrane removed and was it successful?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

I have had an Epiretinal membrane diagnosed and Iam trying to decide whether or not to have surgery ?I can still read and drive but find it rather annoying that where my eyes have been trouble free up to now I have this problem.There are a number of risks with the surgery and I am not sure if its worth going through with it when I could end up with worse vision or just slightly improved.

Anyone had it removed ?Was it worth it ?

Jane

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was supposed to be "kinda" awake with twilight during my membrane surgery to communicate with the surgeon, BUT my surgeon told me I gave them a hard time, I kept kicking my legs, moving my arms and head so the had to knock me completely out. The n a cataract came on pretty fast in a few months. Had to have the cataract removed. That didn't go so well either. That eye is still darker and I can't see as clearly as my good eye. Also, the cataract surgery gave me light streaks. Could not drive at night any more as car headlights made it very hard to see. I then had to have laser surgery (after 90 days of the cataract surgery) to correct that which it did. Now my eye doctor tells me that I'm getting a cataract in my good eye. Everybody else I've talked to said they had NO problems at all after those surgeries. They said they could see like they were 16 again. So maybe it was just my luck. You might do just fine..but you must have the surgery done as it will get continually worse and the longer you leave it go the harder it is to correct. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you

.I think I will monitor it for a year or two as though its very annoying I can still see to read and drive and the risks of surgery making it worse is not to be taken lightly.

My optician told me my cataracts wouldn't need doing for 5 or 10 years but would need doing sooner if I have the surgery.

I would love my right eye to be as good as my left eye but realize now this isn't going to happen.

I cant find out what causes the membrane to form ?Inflammation and aging is what I have been told.

I would hope that research i the future could inform us how to prevent it ?

I am wondering if either a tennis ball hitting me on the bridge of the nose would have caused a trauma ?

Knowing what caused it is a bit late but may prevent the good eye being damaged.

I am concerned that having the operation is not a cure and it could grow back again !

I wonder if they will improve the success of the operation if I wait ?Find the top surgeon ?

Why when they do it do they not put your own vitreous jelly back but use a substitute as the vitreous humor can not regenerate?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.