Has anyone had experience of the drug pregabalin?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I had an appointment with my psychiatrist today about my on-going anxiety issues and he suggested that I should try taking pregabablin,

I have googled it and I am aware that it is an anti epilepsy that can also be useful in the treatment of anxiety but it seems to have the potential for quite a few side effects which is making me quite nervous about it as I would be taking it on top of my anti depressant which also has side effects so I don't really want to have any more piled on top.

I was just wondering if anyone has been on or is on this drug and how it effects them, is it useful for anxiety? does it aid sleep? Does it cause many side effects? and how long does it take to show any effect? does the effect build up over time or like benzodiazepines does it help after you take it for the first time?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Lisa

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was on it just over a week and had to get taken off it as dizziness was making me violently sick but reacts different for different ppl so hope you have more luck :-)
  • Posted

Hi

I've just posted a very similar post after my 1st day on 50 pregabalin. Not had any replies yet but I've had the worst 5 hrs since. Been like a zombie and very aware of shallow breathing which my doctor assured me it wouldn't do as I have issues with tranquillisers doing the same. I'm wondering whether to take the next dose at bedtime as I really don't want another sleepless night. Hopefully someone can advice if these symptoms will pass! I'm not in any other medication

• Posted

Hi Arthur,

I've been 'talking @ to zena on another part of the forum about her issues with Pregabain, and tried to re-assure her.

My own experience with it has been entirely positive I'm glad to say. I did have a mild headache for a few days, which I was warned about. It quickly subsided. That's why you are put on a low dose to begin with, to allow you to get used to it.

From what I've been able to establish, side effects are rare and minor compared to other drug treatments, with no risks of addiction and is quickly establishing a good reputation for being effective.

I take fluoxetine for the depression, which wasn't enough on its own until the Pregabalin.

For what it's worth, my own experience suggests you should at least give it a try.

My best wishes,

Alex

• Posted

Ooops!

Having re read your questions I fergot to address the sleep issue. Prior to Pregabalin my entire life was blighted by bad dreams and nightmares; not any more, I regularly have the most lovely dreams; quite a revalation. A slight downside is having a little difficulty dropping off, but once away I have a damn good night sleep.

I also felt it became noticeably effective after a few days.

Alex

• Posted

What dose did u start on Alex?
  • Posted

Hi Celt,

Started on 75mgx2 first week, then 150mgx2 for a year then up to 200mgx2 to help further with anxiety.

Hope that is of interest to you.

I still have anxiety related issues but the Pregabalin does seem to help keep the major panic attacks to a tolerable level.

Am off to bed now.

Alex

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.