Has anyone had jaw ache/soreness?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Yesterday, I noticed that my jaw was sore when I began to eat lunch.  I wasn’t eating anything tough or hard to chew.  It had been totally fine at breakfast.  Today, it is still sore but not quite as much.  I do not see any swelling or signs of tooth infection, abscess, etc., no fever or anything like that.  However, it is uncomfortable to chew.  I am considering putting in a call to my dentist.  The symptoms sound very much like TMJ.  Has anyone else had anything like this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I just realized what happened!  I carried a heavy laundry basket up and down two flights of stairs at my apartment building yesterday morning several times to do three loads of laundry.  My shoulder and neck are sore, too, and it’s all on the left side where I balanced the basket against my hip.  Won’t do that again!!!  I’m following up with my dentist, too.

Anybody else with TMJ or who has done something like this, let me know!  

• Posted

Hi Liz

I have it right now. It doesn't hurt all the time, only when I open my mouth to eat or clean my teeth. Don't worry it's perfectly normal in menopause it's just another little quirk in changing hormones. I also find when one symptom comes, others stop for a while and trick you into thinking they've gone. smile hang in there

• Posted

Hi JULIE,

I’ve just started with this new symptom.  Out of know where my teeth and jaw ache ?  And like you say hurts to brush them.  I hope you’re right and this just another symptom.  I hate the dentist and have got myself in a state about it. I was about to write a post about it on here when I noticed this one.  xx

• Posted

Thanks.  Unfortunately, this does seem to be related to what happened this weekend.  I am having lots of symptoms of TMJ, including feeling nauseated.  I'm scheduled to see my dentist for a regular check-up/cleaning next week, but I called this morning to explain about my jaw and asked if they wanted me to come in sooner so he could take a look.  The nurse laughed and said she'd never heard of anyone having jaw pain from lifing something heavy and told me to just wait until next week.  Now, I can't tell if the nausea is from panic, my Crohn's disease, the TMJ, or some combination.  I'm not vomiting.  I read that it is common to feel nauseated with TMJ.  My jaw is a lot less sore today, but my shoulder and neck are still sore and I'm worried that something else is out of whack.  If the nausea doesn't pass soon, I guess I'll go to the GP or clinic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.