Has anyone had just a hip arthroscopy?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor says I need to have an arthroscopy on my hip. So far, nothing has worked to ease the pain and the MRA didn't show anything. I am 61 but my Dr said that since I have good bones I am a good candidate. Any advice or relating of experiences is greatly appreciated.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi can I ask what symptoms you are having to warrant having the procedure, their are good and bad results but its all down to the individual and obviously the surgeon but if your suffering and its effecting your quality of life and your surgeon is sure it will help then its going to be your decision that only you can make.

• Posted

I have an ache in my lateral hip area and also in the groin. The hip pain started about 20+ years ago when I was rollerblading. The outward extension of my leg caused a lot of pain so I gave it up. Then maybe 10 years later I took up linedance. Again, the outward extension, as in stepping to the left, caused a lot of pain. Somewhere about that same time my groin started to hurt. Since no one linked the 2, I had a lot of issues dealing with the groin and no answers. The ortho Drs never asked if my groin hurt so I only told them about the lateral hip pain. I am now seeing a sports medicine Dr and he asked about groin pain. After doing PT and injections, neither of which worked, he thinks it is a possible tendon tear. A tendon that connects my butt muscle (not sure which one) to my femur. Since my upper buttock can be achey, I am not surprised at this. He said it will also tell for sure if it IS my hip or not and find things that the MRA may have missed. The pain is now affecting my every-day life. Walking was what started it lately, but the past week it just hurts no matter if I do anything or not. It's not horrible pain, but it is getting worse. Some days it's very painful.

• Posted

A friend had one done about seventeen years ago and runs around twenty five miles every weekend. Andy Murray had an arthroscopy too and he was playing top notch tennis.

• Posted

Its been on TV Andy Murray is very sadly retiring from tennis because of his hip, i hope he can get back some of his mobility.

Don't know if the op has made it better or worse, i think worse personally

• Posted

I think the op helped as he has played since. He says he has been in pain for twenty months though. He had a top notch guy in Australia who did the arthroscopy.

• Posted

I suppose it's all going to depend on why it was done in the first place as to whether it was a good idea and if now he has to have hip replacement which he might its sad, seems its quite common with tennis players.

Dianes case is obviously different as im sure your not going to be over using it and therefore it will last years, it again will depend on the main reason it's needed to be done.

• Posted

I watched Andy Murray today at the Australian Open. If he had won on the five sets I think he would have had a lot of trouble in the next round. It did seem he was limping slightly. Tennis is pretty rough on the hips. I wonder if he will have a full hip replacement or just carry on. After today I think he has played his last professional match though.

• Posted

do you possibly mean hip joint replacement. ususally when a doc refers to "good bone" thats a big clue for thr. arthroscopy can mean several things. as your refer to your pain and nothing has helped, are you talking about OA then thr will eliminate the pain and get you back in the game. good luck.

• Posted

Hip arthroscopy is actually different to a full hip replacement. Because the arthroscope and surgical instruments are thin, the surgeon can use very small incisions, rather than the larger incision needed for normal hip surgery. This results in less pain, less joint stiffness, and often shortens the time it takes to recover. It tends to be used for younger, fitter people at the moment.

• Posted

No, I don't mean replacement. He says I do not have arthritis and that my bones/joints are probably better than his.

• Posted

I have an ache in my lateral hip area and also in the groin. The hip pain started about 20+ years ago when I was rollerblading. The outward extension of my leg caused a lot of pain so I gave it up. Then maybe 10 years later I took up linedance. Again, the outward extension, as in stepping to the left, caused a lot of pain. Somewhere about that same time my groin started to hurt. Since no one linked the 2, I had a lot of issues dealing with the groin and no answers. The ortho Drs never asked if my groin hurt so I only told them about the lateral hip pain. I am now seeing a sports medicine Dr and he asked about groin pain. After doing PT and injections, neither of which worked, he thinks it is a possible tendon tear. A tendon that connects my butt muscle (not sure which one) to my femur. Since my upper buttock can be achey, I am not surprised at this. He said it will also tell for sure if it IS my hip or not and find things that the MRA may have missed. The pain is now affecting my every-day life. Walking was what started it lately, but the past week it just hurts no matter if I do anything or not. It's not horrible pain, but it is getting worse. Some days it's very painful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.