Has anyone had Marsupialization?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello.

I just wondered if anyone could give me a personal experience with marsupialization surgery?

I'm waiting for my date and I don't know what to expect, which leads to me panicking over it.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had it done a couple of years ago . I was put under general anesthesia and it went smoothly . Recovery wasn't bad I had it done on Friday and was back at work Tuesday the pain was minimal. My doctor prescribed painkillers but I only used ibuprofen and was fine. Unfortunately my cyst came back a year later and my doctor did the marsupialization again in her office. That lasted another 6 months and then the cyst was back again. I had total gland removal 6 months ago and it was brutal. long recovery and painful but I'm glad I did it haven't had any issues at all since then. Good luck I hope it goes well.

• Posted

Thankyou for replying 😊 I've been told by my consultant they will be leaving the area open so it can heal from the inside out. Is this the same as you?

• Posted

Yes, its basically stitched open so that it will drain properly. It was a small opening maybe the size of an eraser head. After 2 or 3 weeks I had my husband snip what was left of the stitches because they were pinching some. The itch from healing was enough to drive you crazy though.

• Posted

Don't have it, It will reocur again and will you trough the same process. Use tea tree oil instead , it won't go away but it won't hurt at least. There is no current cure to it.

• Posted

I had four infected cysts back to back each time coming back worse after every draining. The last one, a word catheter was put in for two weeks. The cyst came right back after it was removed but NOT infected. i lived with the cyst for a few months but it was so large and uncomfortable that i ended up having the surgery. Doctor told me after surgery that it was very deep and that I would be in a lot of pain. Recovery was terrible and long and I was mostly stuck in bed for a week but it stayed gone for 10 years. Infected cyst just came back a bit more than a week ago. Had a draining after 7 days of horrible pain and a word catheter put in for two days. Catheter came out today. Hoping it doesn't come back. Sitz baths, witch hazel, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar...nothing ever worked for me. If it comes back, I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat. Good Luck!

• Posted

Thankyou for replying 😊 I've been on antibiotics since October and whenever I come off them my abcess comes back, it's so frustrating. I have been told because of where it is it's very risky and I may be left with loss of sensation. I'm very worried but I'm also fed up, I just want it to be over with now. How long was it until you were fully recovered? xx

• Posted

It was 10 years ago so I can't remember exactly how long but I believe I was feeling more normal after about a week-week and a half. I'm sure it was a few weeks before I felt fully recovered. I'm assuming yours keeps coming back infected?

• Posted

Ok thanks. Yeah everytime I stop the antibiotics it comes back and swells with lots of pain and pus 😔 .

• Posted

I had it a little over a year ago after dealing with a nonpainful bartholin cyst for about 3 years (Previous 2 had been painful and landed me in ER twice due to excruciating pain). It was an out-patient procedure in the US. I was given anesthesia and I believe the entire procedure lasted about 20-30 minutes. 1 hour prep, 30 minutes surgery, and about 1 hour in post-op, was home in my bed by Noon. The first day was not too bad as I was still loopy from the anesthesia. My doctor prescribed my 10 painkiller pills (don't remember which one, believe it was Vicodin), but I only ended up taking 2 of them. I took one the night of the procedure and 1 the day after. I had very minimal pain after that and used regular OTC painkillers as needed (but not more than 2-3 over 10 days of 250mg ) Didn't have any complications, had a post-op visit to the doctor about 10 days later and all was normal. Refrained from sexual activity for exactly 3 months to be extra safe (his recommendation was 8 weeks). Have not had a recurrence thus far. I do practice very good hygiene

I had the infected ones drained so many times that some of the experiences blur together so I don't remember the exact recovery details, but I will say it was easy peasy, you do need to be patient, super careful walking, sitting, sleeping for the first 5 days. I had my procedure on a Friday so I had a couple of days to take it easy. I would recommend scheduling for a Thursday or Friday so you can take advantage of the weekend.

Before deciding on the surgery, I tried everything that is on this forum + countless other blogs/posts. Nothing worked. I religiously did sitz baths, creating different recipes with herbs, oils, etc. While those things might work on an infected cyst and bring it to head so it can pop, they don't work on one that is not infected. My doctor says the reason for this is because there is probably tissue that has grown around the opening or created a 'bubble' of fluid inside that can't be penetrated by those concoctions.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.