Has anyone had memory loss after long period of taking statins?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m worried about a family member who has been suffering with memory impairment, confusion and memory loss, the GPs have not really given us any proper answers. They have ruled out dementia, brain tumour etc with scans. Recently I have seen that statins can cause memory loss and seen forums on this subject. After some research it seems like this could possibly be the answer. Our relative has been taking simvastatins since a double heart bypass 9 years ago. From what I have read it seems some GPs are reluctant to consider this as a contributing factor, but we are at a loss and have been trying to cope with this for over a year now. Has anyone any experience of this please? Has anyone stopped taking statins and seen an improvement in cognitive ability? We are desperately seeking answers. Thank you 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

cognitive disorders are definitely one of the five major Side effects of statins. However knowing the age of the patient would help. In any case, I would cease the use of any statin and hope that if it was the cause of the problem. it might or might not reverse the symptoms which are caused by the adverse effects upon neuron function in the brain by the statin. If the GP is more concerned about Chol levels than a patients decresing state of mind, his priorities are backwards. 60% of cholesterol is located in the brain and I would assume that human body knows what its doing! If he or she has heart disease, don't concern yourself because multiple studies have shown that the use of statins to stop the progression of plaque in the arteries is non existent. My mother and a very close friends mother who were both 90 yrs old were put on statins by their respective drs!?! I was shocked but not surprised by the lack of ethics in a doctor actually believing that someone at that age would be concerned about their chol levels especially with no signs of heart disease. I got both of them off of it.  it's called a financial kickback for how many Rx a dr can order.  Good Luck    

• Posted

Thanks HotRoder for your Reply. The patient is 58, she had heart bypass when she was 49. We are going to the doctors today so hopefully can get some answers and mention this to them. Thank you 
  • Posted

Hi N13arw44 - yes, statins do contribute to memory loss. i had to change passwords that I had used for years because i simply could not remember them. I was poisoned by statins and insist they have no real benefit. Docs won't admit it because it is a multi-billion dollar industry and it is in their own interests to keep us ill.  My memory returned when i threw the statins - and the doc - away. Multiple other "side effects" have very slowly diminished over the last 3 years. Best of luck to you and your family.

• Posted

My mom had a triple bypass and took a Statin drug for 15 years and never had any cognitive dysfunction with it however everybody is different I'm some people may have a reaction to taking the stand rug like for instance my dad he started taking a Statin drug for 3 years at and after 3 years he started developing dementia out of nowhere when he stopped taking it his cognitive function came back and his behavior changed and he lost that foggy brain syndrome thing that he was going through so like I said everybody's different it could be affecting your relative because after years of taking certain drugs it can start to do damage you know and statins have been known to do that kind of damage so I would try to Wing them off slowly like one every other day whenever you 2 or 3 days and other for 5 days like that that's how my dad did it and he finally got off of the drugs completely and he's really really doing well but you would need to take lots of fish oil lots of CQ10 arugula so yes the vegetable arugula seems to lower cholesterol and your relative would also need to take garlic so I would say that if you want to try that maybe start out that way to see if it helps but keep in mind that it may take up to 3 months for cognitive dysfunction to come back, hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.