Has anyone had neurological problems after Botox treatment for migraine?

Posted , 59 users are following.

I had 3 episodes of Botox injections to treat chronic migraine last year. It did help to reduce the severity and frequency of migraines, but since the second treatment I have suffered a lot of unexplained generalised symptoms including numbess, weakness, pins and needles and pain in my legs, arms, hands and feet, difficulty walking (especially up hills or stairs) twitching of muscles all over body, general fatigue, diificulty in speaking, memory loss and reduced ability to concentrate. I have had numerous tests with neurologist, including MRI scans to rule out multiple sclerosis. Most tests have been normal apart from very mild abnormality in EMG indicating some peripheral neuropathy in my feet. The symptoms are very slowly resolving with time, but are still present to some degree one year after the last botox treament. My neurologist submitted an adverse event report about the botox, but says that there have been no confirmed reports of distant effects of botulin toxin after treatment for migraine. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

7 likes, 115 replies

115 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jackie,

I'm so glad I read your post. Like you, I have had  lot of unexplained generalised symptoms including numbess, pins and needles in my feet, legs, arms, hands and on my face, some general fatigue,  memory loss and reduced ability to concentrate. The symptoms come and go and seem to be worse at the end of the week when I am very tired. I had an eyelid lift in March and had a lot of muscle twitiching in my right eye afterwards so had a tiny amount of botox to help that which it did temporarily. The symptoms started in June so were delayed. Like you I've had an EMG, MRI and a complete neurology work-up and everything was negative (prasie the Lord!) but still it's quite frustrating to have these symtoms re-occur. 

• Posted

I'm beginning to believe that maybe the case. Cliff note version..I was diagnosed with cervical dystonia about 10 yrs ago. As was my mother. We started getting botox injections every 3 months give or take as we could afford. I will save you the host of other issues I have except to say in hind sight they've gotten progressively worse since onset of botox. To the point that this year I had to quit my nurse manager job and am barely working pool. My last botox was 10/14. On that day neuro said I didn't have reflex in my right ankle. (New). With severe sacroiliac pain he was thinking stenosis. Immediately had severe pain and weakness right shoulder. Thru the year I began with: occasional swallowing problems with solids, probably central apnea (takes 2-3 hrs. To get conscious in am & I have no memory of it) my ankles are painful and it's getting difficult to walk, was just in am now off and on thru day. I saw new neuro. I now have no reflexes either leg knees down. I'm ataxic to the point of chorea. My handwriting is terrible. Memory bad. Got lost driving x1. Auditory hallucination x1. I've completed full work up and will be going back for her assessment. I sleep about 20 hrs per day. Also I have multi drug hypersensitivity syndrome. I've had 2 near fatal reactions, another hospital visit and 5 other meds I can no longer take. All unrelated, unpredictable and either 1-2 months before reaction or I've taken med multiple times. My other concern is I had a cousin who had devastating childhood reaction to pertussis vaccine that left him profoundly brain damaged. The old pertussis vaccine was a whole cell toxin with similarities to botox.

• Posted

Yes!  I just had my first treatment last week and found your inquiry this morning.  Two nights after the injections, I awoke with the worst pins, needles, swelling and pain in my hands, feet, toes and and fingers.  I work in the restaurant industry and am terribly concerned about losing my income as the swelling is getting worse I am staring to lose stregth and grip in my hands. As soon as get home from work all I can do is fall onto the couch with exhaustion.  I'm soo tired and all of my muscles hurt horribly.  Now that I found your post, I feel confident I'm not the only one who has experienced this side effect and will contact my neurolgist.  Not that she can do much, but at least I know it's the botox and not something else.  Of course, my migraines are better... Thank you so much for your post!!
  • Posted

The data is limited but there are a few studies showing adverse reaction from botox related to spread from sight of injection, neuromuscular disorders, brain damage in small group. I've been getting botox for about 10 years for cervical dystonia and migraine. Get injections in head, neck, and shoulder. I have a long history of severe adverse drug reactions. My last injections 10/14 neuro told me I had no reflex right ankle. Since my chronic health problems have gotten much worse. Dysphagia, fatigue, sleep disorder etc. New neuro now tells me no reflexes either leg knees down. I started looking into botox.
  • Posted

Hi I am due to have botox for my migraines in the next couple of weeks.  Although I am having migraines/auros everyday (since July) and am currently off work  and living off high doses of medication that appears not to be working, I am unsure of botox.  I already suffer from chronic joint pain and other illnesses so do not want further joint pain.  Has anyone had botox and already had chronic joint pain?  Thanks
  • Posted

I had two rounds of Botox for migraines.  The first month I had severe chest pain, but did not relate it to the Botox. After my second dose, three months later, I had severe anxiety that caused me 3 ER visits and a 6 day hospital stay. I was put on medication which I still take. Thankfully, after 12 weeks the anxiety did subside. I am still having other mysterious pains and also lots of headaches. The biggest challenge is finding a dr to listen and admit it is Botox related. I have heard there is no testing or treatment for Botox adverse effects. I am hoping time will heal. I have some good days, but mostly miserable. 
  • Posted

Hi

I had my first round of botox start of April and spoke to my migraine nurse at the hosptital last week because I had severe migraines.  She said that some people don't get any relief until the second lot.  I haven't had any other symptoms though just the same as before the botox but more severe.

Have you spoken to a migraine nurse at your local hospital.  Another thing you could do is to go onto the migraine action website.  They have a migraine nurse who you can speak to and she may be able to offer you advise.  You have to pay to speak to her but she is qualified and suffers herself.  Hope this helps.

Claire

• Posted

Hi! I got xeomin inject in my forehead about a month ago for migraines along with some restalyne for vanity. A week later I got a migraine and threwup. Now it is a month later and I have tingling in my hands and feet and last night I woke up screaming from my hands burning from the inside. It is Sunday so I can't get to a doctor.  I am terified that I will now have permanent nerve damage. Has anyone else had this happen and resolve.
    • Posted

I am in the US and I had the EXACT sane experience after Botox. I have been to every doctor and had every test there is. Finally I found a doctor who believes me. I am praying I can get this out of my system. It's been two and a half months and I have had minimal progress. Dr said it could resolve or not. I feel so stupid for going to a new doc. Please reply I would love to "talk"...

• Posted

I had a different adverse reaction from Botox. Anything is possible. Yeah and good luck finding a good doc to treat you.
    • Posted

Did your situation resolve? I am going to an alternative therapy guy who was recommended by my neurologist. He apparently has some sort of detox he does. That's how desperate I am. Thanks for responding this is really a lonely place to be. I

• Posted

Not completely, but definitely better. I am 6 months out from my last Botox treatment. I have lost 40 pounds and had some very severe anxiety issues. Plenty of rest and drinking lots of water is the only advice I have. Hopefully a good detox will help. 
    • Posted

How's things going . Can't believe what a nightmear Botox has been 7 months on

• Posted

Hello, Im in similar situation and would like to ask you how are you feeling now? thank you
    • Posted

Still suffer with anxiety, although somewhat better.  I am unable to take most prescription mess as I react terribly. Weight loss is significant - 50 pounds now.  Stil haven't found treatment or a doctor with any knowledge or interest in helping with side effects. 

How are you? Any progress?

• Posted

No answers, slight improvement. Extreme weight loss - 50 pounds. 

How are you, and what help have you recieved? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.