Has anyone had or heard of tissue fixation system prolapse repair?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had (or heard of) a prolapse repair technique called tissue fixation system (TFS) based on integral theory? The idea is they wrap tape around the damaged ligaments and correct the prolapses that way.

I've been doing some reading and saw a specilaist recently who offered the surgery to me but I think it is fairly new and in fact not sure if it has been banned in Australia. I'm pretty sure it is offfered in the UK so just wondering.

Thank you all!

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, not sure what TFS is, is it the mesh sling? if it is I can reply to you
  • Posted

hi Jobel (hope this replies to you, not sure how the forum works!)

I think it is similar to the TVT sling which is used for unirary incontinence (was pioneered by the same person) but they use the mesh (or tape they call it) to sling up other parts of the pelvis from what I understand. It is supposed to support the ligaments that have been torn.

• Posted

Jeen44, be very, very careful when you are looking into different repairs for you prolapse. What kind of prolapse have you got and what stage is it at. Is it up inside a bit or is it starting to protrude out of your private area? I have had a prolapse for over ten years and I am living with it and have no problems except for the way it starts to protrude out an hour after getting up in the morning. However, I have found solution for that. So just wondering if you have pain or what type a prolapse you have? It is good to try to avoid surgery at all costs if you are not in pain or significant discomfort.

Blessings to you

Lynn

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

I see you have had a Prolapse for over ten years. Mine has been only about 6 months. Trying to deal with without surgery. BUT - I want to be able to hike without continuously stopping. Went to Puerto Rico hiked to beautiful waterfall with family but chose to let them go ahead of me so they did not have to keep stopping. Had very tight undergarments. Still very uncomforatble. Disney World had to rent a wheel chair so I sit once in awhile so as not to ruin our trip. I want to stay active but dont see it happening living with it. I think everyone is different. Some people live a sedentary life. Some people live a more active one.  Can you or have you walked a long distance without stopping with your undergament?  Like a long hike? I always say anything is better than nothing so Im sure your undergarment will be helpful. Just think for me its about long term lifestyle and trying to find the right surgeon(s) and procedures. 

Just wondering about the hiking. Thanks. 

• Posted

Keep active, but have you tried a pessary? This can give you support when you are out and about and is a life saver for many women like you. Also, posture and alignemnet, check out Tasha Mulligans DVD, HABit she has free films on You Tube and will tell you how to correct your postiure, it may help your prolpase not to fall during the day. Remember when sitting in a chair BBC - Bum at the Back of the Chair, don't sit in a C shape or tuck your pelvis under you, you are exposing your weak pelvic floor and the pelvic organs will drop through. Good luck, keep as active s possible and keep shoulting and asking for help - there are millions of women like you who suffer in silence, together we can all be strong.
    • Posted

The pressure of my prolapse hurts when I walk around too long. Everything starts out fine then starts to sag. The longer I walk the more I sag. Then the more I hurt. Vicious cycle. I sit - everything goes back into place. Start walking again and the cycle starts all over. I used to hate tight clothes. Always prefered something loose. Now I wear my tightest jeans and capris. Helps a lot. I think all our bodies are different and have different levels of symptoms. Gonna try to keep excercising and take Kegal18's advice about correcting posture in a chair. Im behind a computer all day and ususally into the night. Probably why my issues are getting worse very quickly. Ill try your undergarment. 

Take Care. : )

• Posted

Trying to keep active but everything is going south. LOL. I have not even considered a pessary as I know my body all too well. It rejects anything foreign. My isurance deductable, right now, is way too high to go to the doctor for wasting funds on something Im sure will not work for me. Everything is completely out of pocket. Next year I am going to get a lower deductable. I think your right about the chair thing. Pretty sure it has a lot to do with the severity of my issues along with the natural birthing of 3 awesome children 2 of which were big boys . I Sit in front of a computer for hours and hours. Gotta get inventive here if Im going to lick this thing. 

Checking out Tasha Mulligan now. Thanks! 

• Posted

Thanks Jeen for posting this. I too am looking for the right technique and surgeons. Dont want to live long term in this lifestyle of not being able to walk long distances. I want my life back. 

Can't beleive its 2015 and there is such uncertainty about something so prevalent and affecting so many lives. 

Blessings to us all. 

• Posted

Hi Jeen44

I saw this on PubMed  (Site showing published medical results) the conclusion was 'The TFS procedure delivers satisfactory results for uterine prolapse repair with uterine preservation. The procedure is useful because of the short duration of the operation, the short term of recovery, its safety profile and minimal invasiveness. There is a significant improvement in the quality of life, especially for older women. However, long-term results are currently unknown.

The bit 'However, long-term results are currently unknown' is the acid test, this clinical study was from 2009, so you should get online feedback from women who have had the procedure.

Anothe study comcluded 'The longer-term results from the TFS posterior sling are encouraging. The procedure is evolving, and more studies are required.' 

Hope this helps you. 

Whatever you choose, please also remember a course of pelvic floor physio will strengthen you up and stop your other pelvic organs from prolpasing, also watch your weight, its takes the downward pressure off.

All the best

• Posted

Thanks Kegel8

I had a bit of a look on pubmed and came to the same conclusion- no long term studies on effectiveness which is why I thought I'd ask around! I appeciate your info. My pelvic floor muscles tore completely off the bone so there is only so much pf exercises will do.

Respectfully Lynne- prolpase has different causes and symptoms for each woman, thats great you are able to live with yours but you have no idea of the symptoms that I deal with.  Its a personal and individual condition so I think its good if people can share their information without assuming that other people with prolapse have the same experiences/require the same solution. I understand the surgery is far from perfect so rest assured I am doing my research into potential surgeons. 

This is completely different to saggy breasts, there is structural damage due to childbirth, (which perhaps could have been avoided) and organs in my vagina is not something I like on me.

I hope your product is able to help as more solutions are definitely needed.

All the best to everyone

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience Jeen. The more we share the more we can learn and help each other. One size of course does not fit all and I wish while the ladies are young that the doctors would inform them of what they need to do while they are young to avoid a prolapse or prevent a prolapse from getting worse. They could do the pelvic floor exercises etc. starting at a younger age when their organs are still in very good shape. Its a shame that we have to learn about prolapse from our own shocking experiences. I thought I had a tumor growing out of myself when I first experienced my prolapse over ten years ago. I was fortunate that there was no pain and no urine issues or bowel problems. Just this bladder starting to protrude because it had dropped. That was over ten years ago and I have improved since then by doing what I can to prevent it from getting worse. The ladies out there that are like me can save themselves from surgery if they choose. Those who have much deeper problems, my heart goes out to them. If they do their homework and talk to other women with the exact same problems that they will learn more about what they should do or not do. Keep smiling, put your best foot forward and do whatever you need to do to make your life livable and comfortable. I created my support garment for those who cannot have surgery or cannot wear a pessary. Even if I can only help a few ladies, it was all worthwhile. Blessings to all of you and Jeen, I hope you can improve your condition and that the road ahead is not too bumpy.

Blessings to you

Lynn

• Posted

Good luck to you too Jeen44, I do not believe that any woman opts for surgery lightly, we are all desperate for a solution and if this is right for you then good luck. My primary wish is that women do not think this is a final solution to the problem, it will help to contain the problem, but there will be ifestyle changes to help support the surgery in the years ahead. Care shuld always be taken to look after the pelvic floor, and regular check ups with a Physio will help too, because we can sometimes become complacent when our pelvic floor functions properly - it's only when things go wrong we pay it attention! As long as women know and understand that, and I regularly ask surgeons to make their patients aware of this, and know that there is always the possiblility of a vulverability in thie pelvic floor and that they must keep strong they will be fine. 

As you will know,there is no quick fix, it is life changing what you have been through, but you will get strong, and managing your condition will not only make you a stronger woman it will also help other women like you who are stunned and petrified. Keep shouting, keep informing - it really will help other, more than you possibly realise.

• Posted

If you google TFS Prolapse Complications and Tissue Fixation System Mesh you can find lots of information on this.  It definitely looks to be banned.

TFS tape is a mesh and can cause serious complications

They claim the "integral theory", which is based on strengthening ligaments,  has limitations and its implementation is potentially harmful.

Last week, practitioners of this theory expressed frustration that TFS tape had been cancelled by the Therapeutics Goods Administration

Here is the link

http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/health/womens-health/round-two-the-fight-over-how-to-treat-female-pelvic-prolapse-continues-20150602-ghehxf

• Posted

I am glad there are people like you Donna who come on this forum to worn the ladies and help them go to web sites with the information they need to read. It is very scary when one is talking about the bladder and what is done to the bladder that is intended to help but sometimes makes it even worse. All depends on each person what they have and what they need to do to find the best solution for them.

Blessings to you Donna

• Posted

Will send you a private message....click on top righthand corner

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.