Has anyone had other treatments other than surgery for gallbladder?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just wondering if there are alternatives to surgery if gallstones or gallbladder problems are found?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Medication but the medicone takes too long to alleviate the stones. There are also liver flushes and gallbladder flushes and they are considered homeopathic remedies but these can't really be trusted as there's no medical proof that they work. unfortunately surgery is your best bet.
  • Posted

I haven't heard of any. The pain with gallstones can be so bad I would imagine anyone would be glad just to have them taken out. I dont think they can be got rid of in any other way. People live with them for years with no bother at all, when they become painful it's time to get them sorted.
  • Posted

Hi raffaela have you tried braggs Apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon 3 times a day in warm water? It works for a lot of people so might work for you. It's suppose to help dissolve the stones. I think doctors are too quick at removing the gallbladder nowadays. Many years ago they took the stones out and left the gallbladder. I have been one of the unlucky ones who has encountered problems since the operation 4 months ago. I had 1 stone giving me pain but my gallbladder was normal which is why I think my body is struggling without it. Most people do fine after a few weeks. I did speak to a lot of people before the op and all had good outcomes. I would do anything to have my gallbladder back and to try alternative medicine. Anything is worth a try. X
    • Posted

I have just looked on YouTube and there seems to be a lot of talk about apple cider vinegar dissolving gallstones.  One recommeds (as a detox) to drink water with lemon juice and apple cider vinegar every morning).  I do happen to have a bottle of apple cider vinegar so i might give it a go, won't do me any harm while i wait for my scan.  Thanks for the suggestion.
    • Posted

Hi! Pay attention and listen to your body if it gets infected it can effect your pancreas and then you can stay in hospital for more than one day. Good luck and best wishes!
  • Posted

Hello, There's a lot of natural remedies with things like apple-cidar vinegar, etc. online but I've never known anyone personally that it's worked for. I had constant pain for the 2 months while I was waiting for surgery and was afraid if I did something that wasn't Dr. Ordered I might throw myself into major attack and need emergency surgery which people that have experienced that says isn't the way you want to go.
  • Posted

I've had success with a low fat diet and magnesium supplements. I've only had two attacks in 7 weeks due to losing too much weight in a day. Most of the dietary triggers have stopped. I still have to minimize beef and pork but I'm good eating everything else. Very rare that i even get bloating unless i dont have enough fibre or water that day.
    • Posted

Ok wowith. just wow. That's the first time I've ever heard of someone doing so well when they have gb problems. What about chest pains or breathing problems? Do you get those? I've been on a low fat diet also and still no matter what I eat I can't breathe and my stomach feels as if it is on fire. It gets worse if I attempt to eat meat. sad
    • Posted

I tried low fat also and was still getting 3 attacks a week and still had 3 months till surgery so I got desperate and started researching. I take 500 mg of magnesium each day at lunchtime. No chest pains and no shortness of breath. When i do have the rare attack i cant breath deeply without extra pain but once the inflammation goes down it feels better. I also came to find i was sligntly anemic so i take iron every day which i think has helped the gallbladder heal quicker between attacks
    • Posted

I'm taking multivitamins and I feel constantly gassy. My eating well doesn't do a bit of good. And at times during each day I would struggle with breathing. It's all on the right side. The doctor suspects gallbladder problems because it's so tender on my right side but I don't feel that much pain. Just strange waves of acid that seem to emanate from my middle right abdomen And the middle of my abdomen. I am very perplexed as most of my symptoms seem gallbladder related.
  • Posted

Hi

I'm due to have my gallbladder out next Friday due to recurrent pain due to a malfunctioning gallbladder - I was diagnosed with a HIDA scan which revealed my gallbladder was functioning at 9%.  The gastroenterologist said that the result indicated a gallbladder that was inflamed and scarred and obviously not working and probably full of sludge (will know more later).  I have been unable to work for 7 months to agonising pains at any time of the day or night and can't eat or drink without excrutiating pain.  I haven't been offered any other treatment other than removal of the gallbladder and quite honestly with the amount of pain I'm in all I want is to get rid of it - I am aware that it doesn't always solve the problem though and some people can be left in as much pain afterwards as before the operation.  I'm prepared to take that chance as I can't live like this.  I do know that there are natural treatments out there using olive oil and lemon juice - look up gallbladder flush on Google which some people say can eliminate stones - I suppose it depends what sort of state your gallbladder is as to whether you want to try an alternative approach to see if you can turn things round.  It also depends how frequent your attacks are - if they are infrequent then maybe you could try a natural approach to see if you can improve things. 

Hope that helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.