Has anyone had pain relief from PHN using epidural steroid injections?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have suffered from PHN for 5 months.  Dr. Attaman, from Seattle, offers intercostal nerve block, which he says in his blog that there is 90% success rate with this treatment. *** Complete pain relief for three months with many reporting no returning pain. ***    Does anyone reading this have any experience with this type of treatment?  Was it successful?  Were there side effects?   Also, has anyone had epidural steroid injections for PHN?  Was this  successful?

My pain is so severe and I have tried several medication and actupuncture. Thank you for your response. 

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'd be very, very careful about any invasive procedure. Doctors want to DO something (I worked in healthcare as a medical secretary for over 30 years) which is often beneficial, but can make things worse. Do as much research as possible before you'd try this. I know it's so hard when the pain is bad and you think you've reached your limit. Keep searching these forums to see if others had relief, what their side effects were and how long it lasted. I'd use that as a better reflection of the outcomes than his blog.

• Posted

Thank you for your note.  My pain is so severs that I must try anything for relief.  Tuesday is my treatment.  
  • Posted

I've had three intercostal nerve blocks, and I must have fallen in that 10 percent stat that it doesnt work because none, not a one worked for me. I had the VA do one and a private doctor do it twice. His solution when it the pain didn't go away, was a pill that is used to treat  migrane headaches! 2013 to present day I have a pain that runs from my naval to my spine. I have MS that further complicates the issue. Can someone suggest something, other than money making schemes? I am about to fall off a 6 year wagon, fall into alcholism again. 

• Posted

Thank you for responding Michael.  I am so sorry this didn't work for you.  Mine is scheduled for Tuesday and I am hopeful that it will help me.  

• Posted

My dermatologist gave me a series of many steroid injections. The first injection he gave me was in my hip. He said that it would bring down the pain level a bit in all the spots where I was having PHN. On the next visit, he gave me a steroid shot in each spot where I pointed to where I had the worst pain. By my next visit 2 weeks later, I was somewhat better, but he gave me more injections wherever I told him I needed it. Two weeks later again, I was way better than when he gave me that first shot in the hip. I opted not to get any more shots that day. I asked him what was in the injection, as I wasnt able to find any info online about his method of treating PHN. He said that he was injecting me with Kenalog 5mg and a little lidocaine. Kenalog is also called Triamcinolone Acetone. Those shots worked wonders for me. My pain was in my left armpit, along my left arm, left breast, and left shoulder blade on my back. I went from not being able to wear a top because I couldn't tolerate the lightest, softest clothing on my skin to where I am today, which is that I only have what I call an irritation in my armpit. It's not pain, just irritating if I am wearing a top in which the armhole seam is rubbing, or if I get hot and sweaty I start to feel it again. If this is all I have to live with the rest of my life, I'm fine with that, as I now know what REAL pain is from shingles. My heart goes out to all of you who have been in that excrutiating pain for years. 

My rash started on Dec. 20, 2016. I saw my dermatologist that same day and he started me on Famivir (?) an oral anti-viral medicine. It was a few weeks later that he gave me that first shot. Due to the effectiveness of the steroid injections, I was only in that worst pain for maybe 8 weeks. I asked my doctor why no one else who I read about online is getting these same injections. He said he didn't know, but that he got his training on the West Coast. He now practices in NC, where I live.

I am so grateful for my doctor, and hope that you get relief from your epidural steroid injection. I don't know anything about the epidural.

Hope this helps in some way.

Gail

• Posted

I'm very glad for your recovery however there may not be a causal relationship betwen the injections and your pain relief. If you get anti-virals within 72 hours you will get a much milder case of shingles. Also, the younger you are, the better you can fight off the infection and have a better outcome. 

The usual treatment is anit-virals within 72 hours, a pain medication like Lyrica or Gabapentin (Neurontin), pain cream with Lidocaine or pain patches OTC or RX and as much rest as possible. From what I've read, oral steroids may offer some relief, but are a bit controversial. I didn't see much about steroid injections, which have problems of your own. Bottom line gail, you're better! Terrific!

• Posted

I was very lucky to get the anti-viral meds early. I also took a low dose of Gabapentin. But I do feel that the steroid shots are what really did the trick. But who knows. You might be right. I'm 65.

Good luck with your treatment on Tues.

• Posted

Gail, Thank you so much for this information.  I will call my dermatologist to see if he treats PHN.  I am scheduled for injections through a pain clinic on Tuesday.  I hope and pray for some relief.  Barb
  • Posted

Hi, in my attempt to do some research about PHN I stumbled upon this forum. My mother is currently suffering from this horrific situation. However it started years ago and since she was missed diagnosed, it took long for the doctors to realize it was shingles. She is now 60 years old and suffering. We've been throw too many roller coasters to count. First they told my mother she had fibromyalgia and kept increasing her lyrica because it wasn't "working", on top of that my mom has had diabetes since I was a child. Then they told us that she had MS and made her go through all of these different tests and spinal tests, nothing. Then they told her that she had small vessels disease and the long term effects of diabetes did this to her and is causing her neuropathy, they treated her, got her a1c normal, but she was still having this awful nerve pain. Then one day, a few months ago aside from the nerve pain she had already been feeling, she was in pain, skin irritation, blisters that popped out in 4 separate places including next to her face, then the doctors were like "o, you have shingles". So puzzled we were like ok. So he proceeded to explain what PHN was. I was furious because her last doctor from years ago, when this started, failed to tell us about the lasting effects of shingles. This WHOLE time we thought all of these other awful things and the cause was from shingles. Now they have my mom on Gabapentin but I think it's way to strong of a dose because it just makes her sleep. I feel like this "thing" is robbing me of my years with my mom. I don't know how to help her. The PHN is in her face and her head. Do you think injections like Botox or kenalog will help? She's seeing a regular doctor and a neurologist but I think she should see a dermatologist. Any advice would help. Thank you.

• Posted

Kenalog did the trick for me, but mine was diagnosed properly right away. It was my dermatologist who gave me the Kenalog injections. He told me that he used 5 mg Kenalog and a small amount of lidocaine in each shot.

I'm so sorry for your mother 's pain and the suffering that you are enduring because of it.

Gail

• Posted

I am truly sorry and feel for the both of you. Your mother shouldn't have to through this much bad information. There are doctors that know what the shingles are vs. MS! I know because I have suffered and still suffer from both. I have MS, and have had it for 16 years. I got the shingles in 2012. I have had PHN since then. The shingles came on when I spotted a rash on my lower back. I went to emergency immediately because I was taking a new med. for MS. It lowered my resistance, the shingles came on full force. The doctor looked at my back. “You have the shingles!” It was that quick. He gave me antiviral meds, and told me to put some topical lotion to help the healing. He also gave me some pain killers. Little did I know the pain would linger like a barbwire belt, that never goes away.

MS was the almost diagnosed as quick. A neurologist at clinic looked at my record and said, “I think you have MS” an MRI confirmed I indeed had MS. 

When the rash went away, the pain stayed and it stayed plaguing my lower body for 5 years now. I have had two grandkids since then. I can't enjoy them the way I want to. They don't understand how about constant pain, changes your mood. 

I have been tempted to throw back some whiskey, even wine or something to get me numb. I have prescribed narcs, like morphine, oxycontin, and knowing what addiction could do, I stopped. 

Now I take gabapentine 600 ml. 3 times a day. It makes you drowsy, but I think your body get use to that and builds up resistance. I worried that being on this med since 2013 would have long lasting problems but the docs have told me they love the drug because its one of those that is very compatible. I have had blood test normal and I have to take those because the MS meds I take. There also some lidocaine creams that bring some relief, but not entirely. 

I will tell you first hand that this PHN is a constant battle, it sometimes has you wondering what it was like to live without it. I don't have it on my face or head. I got this when I just tuned 50. I have had MS since I was 39. I realize more than ever how important your central nervous system is. I pray for your mother, tell her she is not alone. We suffer from a similar fate. If she is person of faith, pray…it will help. If you need a person to write to I welcome your thoughts. 

• Posted

Hello. I had an intercostal nerve block 2 months into my PHN nightmare. It actually started for me the 2nd week when the rash was gone. Out of site, uncontrollable pain with lyrica, narcs, etc.etc. So I had the intercostal block by the pain doc. No relief whatsoever. 3 months later a different pain doc tried an epidural injection on me under fluroscopy even, yet still no relief. I find a lot of medical articles that show study results don't support these types of injections. They aren't helpful for most people. I hope things are getting better for you. I am so much better than a year and a half ago. 🥀🌺🌻🌼🌷

• Posted

Nerve blocks are only useful in preventing PHN. While I almost always try them, they virtually never work. If medications and topical anesthetics fail, spinal cord stimulation is an option. Yes, thankfully most cases improve with time. Unfortunately nerve blocks are almost never offered early in the disease process when there is evidence they decrease the incidence of PHN.
  • Posted

Hello barb  I have had the intercostal nerve block unfortunately for me it did not work but remember if ur pain is bad anything is worth a go it may be the cure that works for u. I shall keep my fingers and toes crossed for u maybe this time this will work. Good luck and keep us all posted ????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.