Has anyone had Primary Vein Isolation on their heart

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went into AF in November16. I have had three cardioversion but my heart only stays in a few days and it's back in AF. I was on Amiodarone for three months but that failed also. I know have chronic heart failure and trying to do everyday things leave me breathless, with palpitations. I am having Primary Vein Isolation on Monday, I am worried about having it but am desperate to get some quality back in my life. My cardiologist says I have 70% chance it will work and 50% chance I'll have to have it done more than once. I am 63. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer - I really feel for you as I know how horrible and frightening this condition can be.  I have had 5 ablations on different sides of my heart.  I know they call my ablations vein isolations.  My first ablation helped a great deal, and although I continued to have attacks, they were milder.  If you are having a general anaesthetic, you won't know anything about it, but four of my ablations were carried out with local anaesthetic and sedation.  You can't go on like you are at the moment, and I think you will find an improvement, even if you do have to have it done again.  Will pray for you on Monday.

• Posted

Hi Theresa, thanks so much for your reply. You have certainly had a rough time. Yes it will be a general so I won't know what's going on. It's good to hear you had some improvement. My Dr did say there was 50% chance of having to have it done more than once, but the way I'm feeling ide try anything to feel normal again. Hope you continue to improve, and thank you for your good wishes

• Posted

Im sorry to hear that. I have had trouble with aib since i had Acute respiratatory distress sybdrome 8 years ago. I also had a cardioversian that didnt hold and I tend to go in an out of afib until recently. My amiodorone was upped and i take it daily with digoxin and then the doctors told me its vital to eat lots of potassium and take magnesium supplements. I truly believe the magnesium supps are helping. I take 250-500 a day. So far so good. I limit my caeine to a min imum and do not drink alcohol. those tend to be factors for me. I hope this helps
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, that's great that you are getting good results from the magnesium, my brother in law swears by it also. I did mention it to my dr in the early days but at the time I was on a few different drugs and he didn't think adding something else was advisable. After three cardioversions and trying Amiodarone and still being in permanent AF the primary vein isolation seem to be my last

Resort. 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, ablations are daunting but worth it in my opinion. I think that the main thing with ablations is that the skill level of the person performing the ablation can vary, which greatly influences the success of the procedure. 

It is a delicate procedure and the Electrophysiologist need do enough ablating without overdoing it and causing complications. 

Doctors hypocratic oath of 'Do no harm' invariably means that they will err on the side of caution, which is why a follow up procedure is sometimes required.

You'll be fine. Just keep thinking about how nice it will be to have a heart that beats well and in rhythm after this procedure.

Best of luck (hopefully only one procedure will do it!)👍😀

Good luck with it all

• Posted

Hi Simon, thanks so much for your reply, yes as you say it is daunting but can't be as bad as the last 10 months have been, I hope. The Dr I have had a very good reputation and came highly recommended, so I'm confident he will do his best. Thank you for your good wishes, I'm doing as you said, thinking how great it will be to have a heart that behaves itself.😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.