Has anyone had prostate bleeding after HOLEP operation?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, after HOLEP surgery for enlarged prostate six years ago l have been admitted into hospital three times with blood in my urine.

this has followed heart surgery having had stents fitted to blocked arteries and being put on anti platelet drugs.

I am mystified why this keeps happening.

if  anyone has had a similar experience l would love to hear from you as right now it feels like l have been really unlucky with this procedure and my last episode kept me in hospital for eight days and l was discharged with a pulmonary embolism.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike, I had my HOLEP operation 4 weeks ago and have had none of the side effects you mention.

I wonder, with all the other procedures you have had to endure, why do you believe that the blood in your urine is necessarily a consequence of the HOLEP, rather than connected with the anti platelet drugs you are taking?

Roger

• Posted

Roger, I was told that patients can bleed at any time in the first six months or even a year afterTURP or any laser surgery due to delayed haemorrhage or after a scab detaching.

I have twice passed blood that was said to be from a burst blood vessel in my prostate.

• Posted

Derek,

It was Mike's initial statement that he had the HOLEP six years ago that made me wonder if it could still be the root cause of the problems, especially when followed by the other issues and interventions.

• Posted

After this I'm sure it was not caused by the HoLep. By now his prostate must be growing again.
  • Posted

Unquestionable that the anti-platelet drugs cause bleeding once started, to be hard to stop. Especially in the bladder, where there is constant often acidic liquid at the site.

Nowadays, it is important to stop clopidogrel in particular, well before any procedure that may cause bleeding.

This was not recognised as little as 4 years ago, leaving me in hospital for 8 days after a simple cystoscope procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.