HAS ANYONE HAD SACRE NERVE STIMULATION FOR OVERACTIVE BLADDER

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All

Has anyone had this procedure for an over active bladder and incontinence?

I have been placed on waiting list to see

If this would be a option for my ongoing

Bladder condition that I have had for

Many years.

I would welcome other peoples experiences

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

They didn't give me this option when I was suffering stress incontinence. Does it help with that, too?

I went down the TVT route....only heard about all the uproar about them when I joined up here!

Hope some women pop in and give you their experiences, as this would be another option for any sufferers.

Take care. x

• Posted

Summer200

I am an 80 year old male and still very active.  I have an InterStim stimulator that was implanted a couple of years ago.  I first went through a trial period with the stimulator and it seemed to improve my incontinence, so I had it permantly implanted.  I then about a year ago, underwent a major surgery to rebuild my uretha because of scar tissue caused by treatment of my Prostrate cancer about 10 years ago. All of these steps seemed to help; but here I am very restricted in what I can do because of uncontrollable leaks.  These happen quit often at night and it is really embarrising.  I've just virtually lost control of the unrinary valve; so tomorrow I go in for surgery to have an artifical valve installed, let's hope it works.  Will advise after the soreness goes away.

• Posted

Just saw your post.  I've been totally incontinent since TURP surgery 5 months ago.  Physical theraphy, medications, etc. have not helped.  Would you share the outcome of your artificial sphincter?  (Is it the AMS 800?)  How much longer should I keep trying?   I can pretty much exercise control and stop my stream while peeing, but lack any self conscious control.

• Posted

Glenn77, nothing is perfect; but since having the AMS800 installed, I feel like I have a new lease on life.  I still wear a light pad, just to be on the safe side; but have yet to have anything but an occasionally single drip.  I am plagued with sudden urge which really puts it to the test and all the new medications for that condition have side effects that I need to live without.  I occasonally take an Oxybutynin (half of a 5mg twice a day); but normally try to live without it.  I would definately recommend the AMS 800.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I really appreciate it, as I'm wondering just how long to I keep trying with the PT, and down the electrical stimulation for 30 minutes twice a day.  What level of incontinence did you have and was it a result of surgery?   How long did you attempt other approaches, and did your original urologist suggesst the AMS 800?   It's been 5 months since my Green Laser procedure, and 3 months since a Gyrus Turp cleanup.   I don't want to give up too soon, but on the other hand, I feel like I've lost nearly 5 months of a normal life, and at age 77, I don't want to waste months living in wet diapers and pads when I know there's a soluition.  No one at the urology practice will give me a clue of how long will be "enough" trying.  I'm starting to fell like a cash cow for the doctor and PT personnel.

• Posted

Glenn,

My problems did not develope until almost 10 years after my prostrate cancer.  I chose to fight the cancer with radiation, which killed the cancer, but caused the scar tissue to start building.  I guess all toll, I have been fighting the incontence for 4 years, during which I experienced most treatments.  Urethal stretching a number of times, Botox treatments to the bladder twice, self cath for almost a year, a complete urthal tube rebuild (cut a section out and scraped the scar tissue out before rejoining the ends, about 3-hours of surgery), the Innerstem Implant, a Supra Pubic Cath for about 6-months, and just about every med there is for the problem.  I was actually the one who suggested and artifical valve and asked if i might be a canditate for one.  He apparently felt that was a good move; the surgery was scheduled the next week, as he had a cancellation.  There is no way that I've regretted my decision to has the have the AMS 800 installed.  Yes I still wear a thin pad; but change it more due to sweat than having accidents.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks William, what you've been through makes me realize that my few months of struggle are minor in comparison.

• Posted

William, to follow up from a month or so ago.  I'm now at 6 months+ and still extremely incontintent... no improvement at all over the last few months.   Are you in the UK or the US?   If the latter, could you tell me who your surgeon for the AMS 800 is and where he's located?

Thanks,

Glenn

• Posted

Hi Summer

I have had this operation a year ago....and if they say it was a success because I am going every hour instead of every half an hour, who am I to disagree. I however still have my doubts if this was a sucsessful operation. They told me that after the operation I would end up going the normal 5 to 6 times a day and maybe once at night.....so that was what I expected. It never happened. I have my good days and I have my bad days. This last month I have been going through hell again. Sleeping is impossible as i wake up all the time. I went and got some Oxybutin from the pharmacy this week and it has help a tiny bit, but it makes me sleepy and my vision is very blurry. 

When you go for the operation you will be off for a month and then it is contionous colsultations till you get the right frequency for your remote.

You basically have a pace maker inserted in your bum, which vibrates non stop.

But maybe I am not the best person to advocate this procedure at this time as I feel very frustated at this moment. I have Bipolar 2 as well so the fruquent urination and no sleep is not helping at all.

As I say, they say this procedure is a sucess if you end up going 20 tmes instead of 30......that is not what I had in mind when they told me about this procedure.

What have you taken or done in the past for your over active bladder? Besides the meds I was on, stretching my bladder helped for like a month or two and injecting botox into the bladder lasted for 6 months. But botox can only be done once or twice and then the last option is the interstim operation.

I don't know if I helped any....sorry if I am blabbering....just needed to blow of some steam

I hope that whatever you will decide to do will be more successfull that my attempts.

Living with bipolar and and overactive bladder is a b#@&^....lol

• Posted

Hi Summer

Hope you are well and doing fine

Yes I have had the Medtronics Sacral Nerve Stimulator Procedure for my on going Chroncic Longterm Bladder Dysfunction and Bowel problems condition with Constipation as well.

Had my pre-Trial Test 2 weeks test under Doctor S Harrison at Pinderfeilds Hospital in Wakefeild in Feb 2013 went very good and well.

So I was applied for the main longterM Implant Device to be placed in my body. Which I got very quickly and easily from the Special NHS Funding Committee and was approved to be exceptional and immenent to have the Implant surgically inserted in me.

I have had the Implant SNS Modulator implanted in me by Doctor S Ali at Pontefract Hospital just 3 months ago on 4th of May. It has bean very successful in the way ive being able to pass stool with no problems and difficulty from day 1 so dont have to take any bowel movement Medicines or Supporsitries to help aid me pass poo. Also havent had Constipation and bloating that much as well but do have it on a rare occasion bcoz i suffer from IBS, Divactulaor Disease nd Lasy Stomach as well. for my Bladder problems difficulty ive now started to wee 2/3 times daily from 300 to 700 mls in one go just yesterday ive bean able to wee about 1000 ml in one go. I still to get urine retention and overflow incontinenc and over night probs but have bean told dis will slowly and eventually get better and well in the future, as its just very early days. I also get pains and aches in my right buttock where the implant is placed and also the sacral nerve area wher the wire lead is inserted if walking running alot or doing excercises way to much. have bean told by my physicist to take it slow and easy and try to get more rest take paracetamol, co-codomal or apply superficial Ibugel on the site to ease away the pain. 

• Posted

Hi adam29519,

I hope you are well and everything has settled for you with your device.

My head is spinning a bit as saw surgeon at St James's today and he's referred me for the treatment too.

I wondered how you are finding it now you've used for a few months as I'm really hoping I can get my life back and whilst I've been so upset today at the thought of everything, I'm starting to feel a bit hopeful.

Kind Regards x

• Posted

I have had OAB with urinary incontinence for many years. One thing you should know about the implanted neural stimulator (InterStim) is that you cannot have an MRI below the neck if you have the inplant. I try to avoid invasive treatments when I can and have tried many non-invasive treatment over the years. These have included both generic and proprietary anti-cholinergics (which had minimal benefits and intolerable side effects) and two courses of pelvic floor physical therapy. I was also ready to try the InterStim implant until I heard about percutaneous tibal neural stimulation, which is provided in the US by a company called UrgentPC. In brief it stimulates the same nerve as InterStim, but does externally by sending current through a very fine needle properly placed in your ankle. It is not painful. There is a very specific treatment protocol. Initially, there are 12 weekly 30 minute sessions. If the treatment works, you go on to a treatment every 4 weeks. For me, once every 4 weeks is not really enough, but my insurance won't pay for more frequent treatments. I also take a medication, Myrbetriq, that works differently from the anticholinergics and has been very helpful. Though my treatment regimen of UrgentPC and Myrbetriq was helpful, I still hoped I could improve on it. I started reading about transcutaneous tibial stimulation using TENS units. They are not expensive for a decent unit ($60 in US), so I decided to try it supplement the UrgentPC and increase the frequency of treatment with a TENS unit at home. My doctor was not encouraging, but I found enough information online to set up the TENS unit to what I thought would be reasonable. I am placing the external electrodes on my ankle about where the UrgentPC electrodes would be placed. Because I know what a successful UrgentPC treatment feels like, I could tell pretty quickly that the TENS was feeling the same. At the moment, I am using the TENS unit every other day at home for 30 minutes to supplement my every 4 week UrgentPC treatment. While it too soon to declare success, I have had zero incidents of leaking due to urgency and I have now slept through the night 2 days in a row. I am encouraged. If things look this good after a month, I will share more information about the TENS unit and the settings. I should add that I don't think I could do this if I didn't also know what an UrgentPC treatment feels like. Sorry for the long post.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.