Has anyone had scar tissue after rectocele repair?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 18 weeks post op after having a hysterectomy and rectocele repair. Went back to work 6 weeks ago but unfortunatly have not been able to go back full time yet as i have problems sitting up straight on a chair as it becomes really painful. I have been kneeling at my computer at work as the pressure gets unbearable after around an hour. Work are now in the process of getting me a kneeling stool as a doughnut cushion didnt help.

If i can slouch like i do on my settee at home i dont get the intense pain like i do if i have to sit up straight for long. Still get that falling out feeling sometimes which i had before my op.

I saw my consultant last week and he says i have a cystocele but its not bad enough to operate on yet and i have scarring where they did the rectocele repair. Apparently it was quite an extensive repair. I have to try using dilators to help soften the scarring and open the vagina more as it is very narrow after the op. I have a f/u in 4 weeks and if its no better i could have another op to cut out the scarring.

Has anyone else experienced this? I really dont want another op if i can help it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated TIA

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

oh bobsey im dreading going back to work all that sitting but all i can do is give it a try. i was told about the scarring may cause problems maybe thats why i have alot of discomfort. i dont have my follow up until 5th dec 10wks post op which is a long wait but thats nhs for you. i may go and have a chat with my gp. im too early into my post op to offer any advise sorry x

• Posted

Hi , thanks for your reply.

Your discomfort will most likely still be due to your stitches. It is still really early days for you yet but it is definatly worth you going to your gp for a check up if your worried.

I had my post op f/u 6 weeks after my op and was told i would need to see a gynae nurse practioner to be told how to use dilators. Unfortunatly we only have one nurse at the hospital where i live and she was off sick so had to wait until i was 15 weeks post op before i saw her. I was advised to buy the dilators online as not all gp surgerys will do a prescription for them and by the time my gp received the letter from her it could be another 2 months as they are so behind with the typing if letters ( very overstretched nhs unfortunatly )

I wouldnt buy any dilators until you have had your f/u though.

Good luck

• Posted

Hello

Having an op to remove scare tissue only results in.more scar tissue forming so you have a recurrence.

The physio told me massage inside the vagina with some organic coconut or almond oil. This will smooth out the scar.

Also.i.dont know your age but vaginal.estrogen vagifem is excellent for healung and strengthening the vaginal tissues and scarring.

You are still very early in my opinion,the scar will smooth out as months go.on.

Dilators are a very good tool also for stretching out the vagina.

Unfortunately when you have a rectocele it does make vagina very narrow and small.

Good luck hunx

• Posted

hiya

you are very knowlegable and so helpful.

i will look into your suggestions. would it be better to ask gp about dilators.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Like you i just presumed more surgery would mean more scarring but apparently as my scarring is so bunched up they can cut it away and smooth it out.

I will try the coconut or almond oil though as i really dont want another op and i will keep trying with the dilators.

I am 44 so pre menopausal so not sure if i could use the estrogen cream.

I keep thinking things can only get better !

• Posted

hiya

im liking the idea of using coconut oil but only 3 wks post op isnt it too early to start thumbling around plus im very nervous to go near to be honest

• Posted

Oh yes love.nothing in the vagina till after stitches healed.

I waited 12 weeks before anything went inside lol.

My prof is very very good and ive learnt so much from him.

Fire away any other questions.

Im age 59, slim healthy but still very paranoid and nkt a day goes by i dont think about my repair😖

• Posted

oh bugger i put oil in this morning. it all felt ok though. im 58 slim and healthy also. had hysterectomy 18 years ago had tvt 4 years ago. i had twins 37 years ago. my surgeon said all above were to blame for my rectocele.

• Posted

Im sure.it will be ok.just w ait now till after post op check.

Yes hun our chikdren have a lot to answer for bless them.

I never had any probs until i went tbrough early menopause at age 43.

Then the front wall said hi lol. The joys of getting old and being a women.

Then again i wouldn't want to be man thats for sure😜😜

Rest easy lovely.xx

• Posted

Your the same age as me when my front wall came down hahaha.

Such joys hey hu n but at least we have each other for Support.

Mentally it really affected me to the point it was all i thought of.

Now im a lot better and think to myself it coukd be sooo much worse but its just anatomical.(think thats the spelling)

• Posted

i can honestly say i wouldnt of got through these last 3 weeks without this site. everyone has been so helpful. all going through different stages of recovery. i will so mention this site when i go back to work and tell the gp's so they can pass it onto other patients.

where do you live? would love to meet you.

• Posted

Im.looking for a new career path.

Used to work.in ladies clothes but didnt want to be in my feet all day.

My consultant told me its nkt good for pelvic floor.

Id like reception but not having much luck at present.

Lady of leisure has worn off now and need to be back at work.

what do you do hun?

• Posted

Ahh just read your post. Id love to work reception like you but not had any luc k last few months.

Oh well ill keep going lol. Im back.swimming now so.hopefully strengthen up all that pelvic area👍x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.