Has anyone had Stem Cell Injection on Knee

Posted , 11 users are following.

Has anyone had Stem Cell Injection on Knee with Osteoarthritis?  They will repair a torn meniscus.  The stem cell injection is a new procedure that is supposed to help people with osteoarthritis to help grow cartlige back.  It works in most people from what I am reading.  Wondering if anyone has actually had this done and what is the outcome?  I am facing a TKR in time but they won't do it now.  This is my only option.  Praying for good results.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cathy

I had a total tkr coming up 11 weeks now. I asked for the stem cell injections but apparently if the knee has gone to far with the osteoarthritus they wont give it. sorry to sound like the bearer of bad news but dont want to build your hopes up. 

• Posted

Stem cell will help mend a tear, but if you are bone on bone forget it.  Bone cannot be rebuilt.  The reason there seems to be a reticence regarding replacements is that, to date, the life of the joint is 10 years, less if you are very active and do high impact activities.  If you are in pain ask them to try injecting synovial fluid. It is an expensive procedure to have (your insurance will pay, not sure about NHS if you are in the UK).  it is the man made version of the fluid that is areas between your joints.  suppose to last a good 6 months if you are lucky.  You can insist on a TKR, but please beware.  It is a painful thing to go through and the rehab CAN be debilitating.  I say can, as there are thousands who have it done with no lasting issues, but you won't find them on any forum.  Good luck
  • Posted

Cathy I had SCT on my left knee 7 weeks ago. There was never any Doctor that mentioned bone on bone took you out of the option of getting the injections. I need three months to be able to share my experience. That's when the cartilage starts to grow back. I'll update as I go forward.

• Posted

Hi Knewneeh

I am getting Stem cell done on both of my knees in November.  I am just wondering how you are doing and if the procedure was painful.   They will likely do PRP as well as ste cell since I also have bone on bone.  Also how was the recovery period?   Looking forward to your reply

• Posted

It has been 6 months on the 15th of this month since I had my surgery.  I think it is working but has been a long painful 6 months.  But keep in mind they did microfracture plus stem cell injection plus fixed mensiscus tear.  I think the microfracture is the worst as it takes the bones forever to heal.  I am finally able to walk without the brace some but still have to take it easy.  I would love to see inside my knee to see how much cartlidge is growing but i feel positive it is.  It just takes a long time of not doing much of anything.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.