Has anyone had steroid injections to delay THR

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi,  I am thinking of asking my GP if I can have a steroid injection so I can delay THR for a while.  Has anyone else had this done & did it relieve the pain for a while

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi.  I am almost 15 weeks after my surgery on my left hip...and i am sure I will have to have my right one done in a while.  HOWEVER,  I was able to put it off for almost 2 years with steroid injections.  I am 72-have very bad arthritis and was ALMOST BONE ON BONE..but they were able to inject enough to keep me comfortable for almost 6-7 months each time but then I eventually had to have the surgery.  I am going to try and do the same thing on my other hip now ( am not ready to even think about doing the other hip right away!)  Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi Veronica,i had an injection last dec,surgeon wanted 2 make sure pain was coming from my hip,which it was,i think it was 2 make me wait even longer 4 op! Anyway,point is,it was called diagnostic/theraputic,its done under general anaesthetic as a day patient,it works right away,no pain at all as it numbs ur joint,it worked for 3mnth,ur joint still deterioates so its just a stop gap,but a very pleasant 1,it gives u an idea of how u will feel after THR ,i'm nrly 5wks THR and improving everyday.....ask ur doc bout injection.....good luck xx

• Posted

I had an injection for bursitis and it worked, I could sleep better.  I was then told that I needed two more, one for tendonitis and one for ITB (the band to the knee).  I then saw a Consultant who said that I need a hip replacement, which is scheduled for 4th October.  It was a private Consultant, I am not sure an NHS Consultant would have agreed so readily, as they try to avoid operations for various reasons, including I guess cost.  He guarnateed that whatever I did my symptoms would come back.

I would be interested to hear about the sleeping on the back rule, as I have not yet been told that.  I may be told about at my pre op on 12 September.  I cannot sleep on my back, however hard I try.  How long is that required?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.