Has anyone had success with stretta procedure

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all,

i have suffered acid reflux over 5years ,ppis make little to no difference. has anyone had stretta procedure done and if so was it successful in stopping the pain of reflux?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

HI Kate

I'm not aware if what Stretta procedure is, but I suffered from acid reflux, heartburn, GERD, for years on end, also Chronic gastritis. I was put on PPI's , was on and off them for two years, they caused a calcium and phosphate deficiency and I felt ill on them. I felt like a hopeless case, i struggled to change my diet and eat healthy. I am now in a position to come on here and let everyone know how they can cure these digestive related issues. It's not complicated, but does require a whole new outlook towards food and diet. I cured everything that was wrong with me by changing to a plant based diet. As much as I wasn't stuck on much veg, I had to come up with a way to incorporate loads of veg into my diet. I came up with the idea to chop my veg down really small and mix it through my Quinoa rice, that way I wouldnt really notice the veg. I then put in a tablespoon of organic extra virgin coconut oil and a tablespoon of organic olive oil. The oily taste through the veg and rice is fantastic, so I take this every night for my dinner, regularly changing my veg for variation. I don't eat after 7pm. For breakfast I would have everything organic. Porridge, with 4 fruits, ie Cranberries, Strawberries, raisins, Goji berries. One teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of ginger, 1 tablespoon of flax seed, 1 tablespoon of Chia seeds, Cashew milk or Almond milk. This is all i eat, two meals a day and im full up, because the flax seed and chia seeds have the ability to make you feel full, but in a nice way. Also at tea time, the Quinoa, has the same effect of making you feel full. I drink filtered water all through the day. I have cured myself of everything digestive related, and reduced my blood pressure to a healthy level. My skin is great, I cant even begin to tell you how healthy I feel, I feel like a new person. The point I'm really trying to make is most people on here can be cured naturally by eating a plant based diet. I'm not saying everyone shouldn't eat meat, a little is ok as long as the cattle is from organic and grass fed farming. The best being from New Zealand. I sometimes take a liver supplement from organic, grass fed cattle to make sure I don't become deficient in the B's, especially B12. For essential fatty acids, although you get some in flax seeds, its also good to take them from fish, I get mine from Sockeye salmon, as these fish only live for 3 years, their the cleanest fish you can eat. Ideally, your looking for 80% plant based and 20% meat, but not the processed crap that pumped with antibiotics etc. I forgot to mention, I've lost lots of weight as well, feeling fantastic, I have an overall feeling of calmness in my mind as well. A good healthy gut leads to a healthy mind. x

• Posted

Hi Gillian

Do you maintain your weight on your diet? Ive lost over a stone and cant afford to lose any more. Would like to get reflux under control with diet though.

• Posted

hi Gillian

tks for such a detsiled reply, i will try change my diet, i wud try anything to be reflux free

• Posted

Hi Sara

If you want to maintain it, you could just eat more, I badly needed to lose weight, so I'm happy just eating twice daily and I'm full up at that.

• Posted

Hi Kate

Please do change to a mostly plant based diet, I can't stress enough, how beneficial it is for the gut and digestive related issues. I was at the doc's, at the hospital, everything from the waist up was in pain. I was a mess. I don't even get a cold now, since changing my diet. The sooner you change, the better. This is because the constant acid reflux can damage your throat.

• Posted

hi Gilli an

can i ask how long did it take for you to start feeling better, i am like you were, everything is paining me, mostly after i eat, im really depressed from it as theres no quality of life, are you saying you turned totslly vegan?

• Posted

Hi Kate

I can honestly say, I felt better in a few days, its like a miracle. I don't refer to myself as vegan as I eat a small amount of fish ie Sockeye Salmon. This and Krill is exceptionally good for you. You need a different type of essential fatty acids than you get from plant foods like flax seeds etc, we also require the meat type in order for our bodies to get the two different types, there slightly different. Sockeye salmon is great because the fact they only live for 3 years, so their not like other fish that have had years to get toxins into their system, also sockeye salmon comes from the wild (Atlantic ocean), where the water is clean. Krill is the same in the sense its from a clean Ocean. This is all I would take fish wise, don't eat tuna, its the most polluted fish out there. As for cows meat etc, I don't put meat on my plate, but I do take a supplement of liver from organic grass fed cows from New Zealand. The B vitamins and Iron is vital from meat, vegans often lack this from fruit, veg, nuts, seeds alone. The reason I chose my supplement from New Zealand is because they have warm weather all year round, which means the cattle is outdoors all year round and most likely to be grass fed at all times. Not sure where your from Kate, I'm from Scotland, I wont chance meat from here, as I know it can't possibly be grass fed all year round as our weather is is dreadful in the winter months, hence, the cattle is indoors, eating feed and hay etc thats contaminated. Hot countries are best ie, Australia and Argentina, you can be sure there cattle is outdoors all year round. Be careful with grains, there heavily contaminated, unless organic. I tend to stay away from most things with gluten, avoid dairy. This dosen't mean that you have to, its just that I have an intolerance to them, you might have one too, then again you may not. If your in U.K, you should try Plenish cashew milk, or Plenish almond milk instead of dairy, its one of the few plant milks that dont have gaur gum in them. This has a sticky thick effect that tends to clog you up when drinking them. Plenish tastes lovely and dosen't have anything bad in it. You can buy it in Sainsbury's supermarket. You can buy some good foods on amazon, but make sure you check your ingredients and know what your looking for. you can get good gluten free organic porridge, mines is lovely. Find out if you have any intolerances or allergies to food first, then start on your healthy eating.

• Posted

hi Gillian, tks again for taking time to reply, i live in ireland, i will try source the sockeye salmon, yesterday i juiced kale, mango ,spinnage into a smoothie, hard enough to take i put honey in to make the taste better. i feel i have huge changes to make to try to alleviate this daily pain. i really appreciate your help .would love if somehow we cud stay in touch. tks again

• Posted

Hi gosh ive had it for seven months and its getting me down! Have you had an endoscopy? What causes yours? Ive not heard of the stretta procedure.

If mine carries on would like some form of procedure!

• Posted

Hi, Just how bad is your gastritis? Mine started out of the blue although I can think of many reasons why and is extremely debilitating. I mean very bad. Almost every time I move I get a terrible pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades and masses of gas (burping). It is especially bad if I do even mild exercise including a bit of walking and god forbid I try to bend as in sit on a chair and tie shoe laces. This has progressively worsened over the last year to a point where I can literally do nothing but sit around. I have had all the tests, barium meal, endoscope twice and Oesophageal manometry 24 hour test.

As a meat eater I detest the thought of not eating meat and are horrified by the thought of changing my diet especially when so far after a year+ no one can tell me what has changed to bring this on. Yes I have a hiatus hernia but know others that have a similar defect that live pretty normal lives. I am not a health fanatic and at this stage refuse to entertain the drastic diet changes Gillian proposers let alone all the organic stuff. If that is the case I may as well not live.

My first mission is to find someone that can clearly explain what has changed and especially why what is considered a small sliding hiatus hernia is causing such dramatic problems in my case but apparently not in others. I am an engineer and demand to know what has gone wrong or changed before even contemplating surgical, non invasive or dietary changes. I have consumed fair amounts of wine and beer, eaten healthy portions of meat and more more or less had no diet problems throughout my life, what has changed.

The only thing I can assume is that the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) has weakened for whatever reason and needs strengthening or repair. The stretta procedure sounds very interesting to me as in principle it is supposed to tighten the LES muscle and make it close again after allowing food down and stopping the acid / gas rise. The problem with GERD is that there is always acid in the stomach so in my opinion changing diet or god forbid not eating at all in cases where the GERD is bad enough will serve no purpose.

I will ask my gastro surgeon on my next visit (amusing I am still alive by the time it happens they take so long) about it and to be honest will opt for it if it looks like it can help. Changing my diet will be a last reluctant solution. I guess it all hinges on just how bad your GERD is!

• Posted

Diet play very important part to control it and PPI drug help for short term. You will need to have endoscopy, barium swallow and PH monitor to work out the core issue.

How large is your sliding hernia?

Drug and diet only help to control the re-flux but not fixing the issue.

Surgery is to repair and fix the issue.

I'm have heard lost weight solved the problem as reduce the pressure to the stomach.

If hernia is the issue you will need surgery.

You need to all the diagnostic to workout the cause of reflux.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.