Has anyone had surgery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been suffering with feeling of blocked left ear and hearing problems in that ear. Diagnosed with LPR. Burning throat and heartburn I am on Somac twice daily and Motillium 3 tims daily. No help. Has anyone had the surgery and received any benefit?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have experienced reflux all my life and I'm 68 now.

I always had hearing problems which I now know were due to GORD and LPR but not understood then. At the age of 5, I was having my ears syringed weekly. The only lasting effect is when I belonged to a sub aqua club, I failed the highest test because of scarring in the ears.

It's usually the right ear that is most affected. In a surveu conducted last year, 30% of refluxers reported ear waxing problems.

I had the Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication reflux-reduction surgery 8 years ago. It was the best thing I ever did. My reflux symptoms vanished overnight (including those I hadn't realised were due to reflux) .

Visit the free ecyclopaedia / website, www DownWithAcid org uk and find the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux. You will also find chapters on reflux reduction including various fundoplication procedures of which Laparoscopic Nissen is the gold standard practiced over 20 years. A link to research following nearly 200 patients who received LPR 20 years ago may be found in the fundoplication chapter of the book.

• Posted

Thanks for the info, will certainly consider this if symptoms don't abate. Good to hear that the surgery worked for you.

• Posted

Hi Norma,

I'm 10 weeks today after hiatus hernia repair and fundloplication surgery.

I had a long list of symptoms which I've basically had since childhood.

It's quite a painful op but I've not had any ppi since, I was taking 40mg of Nexium, 300mg of Ranitadine and copious amounts of gaviscon daily, now I'm just having paracetamol ibuprofen and the odd Deflatine for gas..

I'm laying almost flat in bed at night now.

I only lost 1 stone in weight and it seems to have leveled off at that now which is fine with me..

I have 6 tiny cuts on my belly, they are a bit sore still with scar tissue but hopefully that will clear soon.

Eating will be slow process for a while, little and often and chewing everything properly in small amounts.

Good luck with your journey I hope you make the right decision for you. I know I did.

Margaret x

• Posted

Thank you so much Margaret you information is very helpful, I will consider surgery if things don't improve. Good luck to yourself as well, hope the improvement continue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.