Has anyone had the coil for perimenopausal symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 42, having irregular periods and elevated FSH. I am symptomatic of the change, sweats mood swings, anxiety etc.

I am considering my options.

My sister had a coil fitted for contraception but went through the change while on it and sailed through.

Just wanted to hear other people experience.

Thank-you you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had the mirena coil fitted about 3 weeks ago to resolve heavy periods but my consultant did say the small dosage of progesterone may help with some perimenopausal symptoms. My estrogen and testosterone levels are ok so perhaps I do need a boost of progesterone to help with the mood swings, depression etc. I'll keep u posted!

• Posted

Thank angie for the reply.

Have you tried anything else for the symptoms?

Was that the first option your Gp suggested?

I have been given lots of options but it seem that my Gp is expecting meet to choose. How do I know what is the best option?

Please keep me posted, I would really appreciate your thoughts 😀

• Posted

The coil came at the end of a long list! I've tried vitamins, hormones, reflexology, CBT, antidepressants etc. I went through bad depression and anxiety last year as well as hair loss, skin changes, BDD. My current state is the best it has been. I'm currently taking a mix of vitamins, 5 HTP and low level hormones and it's seems to be working at the moment but I don't expect it to last forever!

• Posted

Hi I have been on hrt for 8 month I'm about to have the Mirena coil fitted and seperate estrogen by gel my consultant says this is the safest way to have combined hrt as the dose of progesterone from the Mirena is very low.

i have great faith in my consultant so that's why I'm going for this option. 

Hope this helps a little

• Posted

Hi Wendy

Thank you for your reply.

Can is asked why are you changing fromm HRT?

Did it not work or do you have site effects?

• Posted

I am waiting to have coil fitted when I have a womb biopsy

I have a family history of breast cancer & ovarian cancer so my consultant is not happy with me being on high dose of combined hrt so that's why I'm changing purely from a safety point as my hrt suited me.

My consultant showed me the figures for breast cancer and taking hrt by Mirena coil and estrogen alone is so much safer.

To be honest I don't think gps have great knowledge on hrt but my consultant does so I trust him completely [u].He has told me I'm likely to have far fewer side effects this way as the progesterone in Mirena is so low.[/u]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.