Has anyone had the full removal surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

16 years I've put up with this horrible disease (took 10 years to diagnose) I've now been referred for full removal surgery in both armpits. My hs is now at the point were lancing under a local anaesthetic is no longer an option the pain when the needles are injected is excruciating because there's so much scar tissue. I've just had a removal under a general for the first time ever. (Dont wanna do that again) wound packed and having it changed out every few days is so painful (id rather go through labour again)Has anyone ever had the full tissue,gland removed and skin grafted? What kind of pain after should I expect? Painkillers? (Paracetamol and dehydracodine at the minute) Hospital stay etc how long do you reckon the healing process will take? This disease is just horrible I know I'm not alone so many people suffering from this but theres zero awareness. I've had to give up work due it been a constant flare up(luckily my partners in a good paying job) but with 5 kids it's hard especially on bad days wen all you want to do is curl up and cry but you know you can't for the sake of your children. Sorry getting depressing now it's been a long 16 years. So many antibiotics injections you name it I've had it nothing seems to work. From cutting out nightshades to dairy surgery is my last option and I know It won't cure it. A few months relief would be enough for me.

Any advice is greatly recieved

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I’m sorry you’ve had to go through this. It is hard. I suffer with both arms as well, but I had surgery on my right armpit. I had to have skin graft from my side. I’m 18 I didn’t finish high school and really separated my self from everyone, I was also always depressed and especially when I first got the surgery done. (I think mostly from the scarring and seeing myself the way that I am). My plastic surgeon took out all of the skin from my armpit, and did a skin graft from my side and covered the bottom half of my armpit and let the upper half heal on its own. After surgery I didn’t feel much my arm just felt heavy. I had Percocets for the pain. It really doesn’t hurt at all. I had to wear a sling for 2 weeks. When it was taken off my arm felt very dead for about 3 weeks I couldn’t feel anything when it was touched. The full healing process for me was 5 months.
    • Posted

And no the surgery was in and out. They kept me in recovery for about 2 hours tho because they wanted me to get some rest.
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply symone

I know exactly what you mean I isolated myself from everyone for a long time sometimes I still do at times. 2 of my sister's also suffer from hs so I know they know what I'm going through there are lots of support groups out there which do help. We should never feel alone in this. I was 19 when I had my first abscess while I was pregnant with my son and it escalated from there I'm now stage 3. I was stage 3 even before I was diagnosed. Extremely anxious about the surgery it was always a last resort. So thank you it's kind of put my mind at ease a little.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.