Has anyone had the surgery for fissures? Have some questions.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had these fissures for about 5 months now, have tried all the creams,been on laxatives for 5 months, seen the surgeon, etc

I wanted to try and heal myself because the thought of surgery is giving me anxiety attacks.

My partner is getting angry at me now because hes saying to just go for the surgery and get it over with as its costing us extra money because i cant eat red meat and a lot of other things so i cook seperate meals for our family some nights.

Anyway, to the point...

Do i have to stay in hospital over night?

i think ill need a hemorrhoid removed too. the surgeon wanted to put a finger up inside me and see how tight my sphincter was and if it was he wants to cut it. Now the issue is i dont want to leave my baby over night (this all started a month after she was born) and my partner thinks he would be right to watch her but he wont and she wont even take a bottle.

would they let me come home that day? whats the surgery like? do they put you under? so many questions, am just considering it and im freaking out a little... It seems i cant heal myself naturally though.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I had LIS 24 days ago, if your fissure hasnt healed in 5 months you probably will need surgery, I had mine for 3 months before i did it and I couldnt handle it anymore. Before LIS I had exams done like proctosigmoidoscopy, anorectal manometey, and the finger more than one time. I tried all creams before too and it did nothing.. Surgery is very simple and mine took 30 mins, they put me to sleep and i woke up ready to go to my room, stayed one night at the hospital and my first BM was painful so I asked them for pain medicine and they gave me morfine and it was great to relax at that point. You will feel pain to go for the first 5 days, each day less and less, i had a swollen lump for about 10 days which goes away, now after 24 days the real bad pain is gone, I Can function now as before I couldnt really, I still have discomfort here and there but I read some people will take up to 8 months to fully heal as other will take less time, If your pain is that spasm pain that lasts for hours after your bm you will feel relief about 15 days after surgery. If you wait too long your fisse can get worse and it can become a fistula, a bigger problem for you to solve. I also had panic attacks and I am taking clonazepam and serotonine medication and now I feel fine. Find an experienced surgeon to do it as its a serious matter to cut the muscle, I have no incontinence at all, so if I were you I wouldnt wait anymore. hope this helps you.

• Posted

yes, you usually go home after colorectal surgery unless there are complications after surgery.

but you will need to have rest and depending on the surgery, you will be in pain for the first few days after surgery.

• Posted

ive struggled for years with this i think it is a day case you probably wont need to stay over night do u not have any grandparents who can help you to ease your anxiety xx

• Posted

I am 3 days out from my surgery. Sphincterotomy and skin tag removal. I was

told there was a slight chance of the surgeon cutting too deep which would make me incontinent. That terrified me. I put it off as long a I could but could not take razor blades. burning and spasms any longer. I had a talk with my surgeon and really trusted him. He explained everything in words I could understand.He actually came in and talked to me before AND after the procedure. I had a fissure , also skin tag and hemorrhoid on the outside of the anus. He said the fissure was healing, removed the skin tag but left the hemorrhoid . He says it should shrink. 4-6 weeks and I should be healed. I still can't strain when I have bowel movements. The two days it hardly hurt at all from the surgical drugs used I am guessing. Today is day 3. It is pretty sore today. But I figured it would be. It is hard to sit. It hurts. So they say to sit for an hour and then get up and walk. BUT I am 69 and you are so young. I had the surgery, and I am not incontinent. I got my miracle.!!! I got to go home the same day. Please don't wait any longer. Find a surgeon that will answer all your questions, one who will listen and you can trust. Hope this helps. Please let us know what you decide.

• Posted

I have had 2 months of no pain as i changed around what i have been taking. The past two days have been kind of painful again maybe a 3/10. I didnt bleed though so thats a plus. Not sure whats causing my flare up.

I have come to realise my hemorrhoids are what is causing the fissure. The hems come out when i go to the toilet so if my stool isnt anything but completely soft theres no room for it to come out with the hemorrhoid sticking out. & if it isnt soft it cuts me. So ill definitely need to get hemorrhoids removed when i feel up to it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.