Has anyone had these symptoms please ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi does anyone have these symptoms and how do you cope please ? I have suffered with various indigestion symtoms of indigestion for a long time, it seems to come and go and i am awaiting an endoscope. When it flares up it seems to start soon after eating my breakfast cereal. I get an uncomfortable slightly bloated feeling like my breakfast is just sat there. By lunchtime i can feel slight burning and some burping which seems to help relieve some of pressure from stomach. This can last all day on and off, but sometimes i get slight pain/discomfort in chest and inbetween shoulder blades in my back. I now also get a feeling of a lump in throat and feel the need to keep swallowing which is really annoying.  The reason my doctor is finally sending for the endoscope is i sometimes get sharp chest pains which frighten me and ecg always comes back ok. I find bending forwards to pick something up makes pains worse so anything like gardening is out. I did try a ppi but after a week got visual disturbance and went A&E and was told to stop them as it was listed in side effects. So i try to cope using a variety of antacids. My doctor said to try ranitadine but not taken any yet as from what i have read on here if you are going to have an endoscope you should not take it for the 2 weeks prior to the endoscope. Over the years my indigestion has got worse so want some answers from the hospital now as it makes life difficult. I do know some foods seem to trigger it, cereal ? , salad, cream, fatty foods, chocolate etc so i try to avoid but do slip up especially if i have had a good couple of days. If anyone has had same symptoms it would be great to know how you cope and if anything cures or helps it thanks

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Franes the fundamental doctors seem to start off by giving you an IgG food sensitivity test. These arent cheap but really give you a good idea of what foods could set you off. Also lowers blood pressure too if you follow it strictly. If you cant afford this try dropping all grains, dairy and alcohol and see if yiu feel any better in a week. They are literally dozens of this to try but dont do too many at once and keep an accurate food diary and write down how you feel and sleep. Get better soon!
    • Posted

I do notice some foods seem to trigger indigestion mainly fatty, sugary foods. Also lettuce does not agree with me, and now added cereal to the list of possibles. I dont drink so thats not a problem, i do have naturally low blood pressure so dont want to make that worse. Just hoping the endoscope gives me a diagnosis as to whats causing it.
    • Posted

I always think that lettuce is rather indigestible compared to other greens.
  • Posted

Hi everyone and thanks for your advice, i had the endoscopy today with sedation and the staff were really great with me.  You were right it was not as bad as i imagined it would be. I was told they could see some signs of acid reflux and i had a small hiatus hernia. So i have to see my gp in about a week to see what they recommend. I expected them to find something quite bad to be causing stabbing chest pains and the feeling of a lump in throat so was surprised .
    • Posted

Dear Frances,

So glad you had it done and hopefully knowing what to expect helps. It really isnt as bad as it sounds but abit unpleasant! I too had small hernia and mild gastitis, i eventually came off medication but at times i feel the reflux, coughing at night etc but not the heartburn. Im hoping that i only have to have medication on flare ups.

• Posted

Hi pinkcatfairy,

You said you had oesophagitis and gastitis and it took a while to clear up? Are those symptoms gone now and are you back to normal?

• Posted

I had the oesophagitis some time ago and yes i did get back to normal, the gastitis flared up recently, i think due to menopause and yes eventually it has cleared, i still experience reflux in the form of coughing (at night) and the odd heartburn (i do have a small hernia) I have gone back to eating and drinking normally and hope this is a case of flaring up once in a while, in an ideal world never again but i dont think that will be the case!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.